NEW WORKSHOP MOVE/BUILD WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansonread

Established Member
Reaction score
So, its come to that time where I have outgrown my existing workshop, and after much deliberation, and a lot of searching and stress I have taken the plunge. The existing tenants are just in the process of clearing out (they are also up sizing) so I snuck in to take a few pictures to show her indoors.

Anyway, just thought id see if there was any interest in doing a work in progress as such, with setting up a commercial workshop? Plus ideas and tips would also be greatly appreciated!

Below are the pictures that I have managed to get so far, the whole workshop including the room within the main hall as such are being removed by the existing tenants as part of there lease terms. the only thing that will be left is the mezzanine with the storage room below.

I plan on taking this out as it eats into the floor space to much, leaving very low head room underneath and in the rooms above. (does anyone want this?)

I will also have an abundance of fire doors that I need to get rid of, if anyone is interested.

Its also got a rather huge car park, which I also have yet to think of a use for, although I did think maybe a wood kiln? Anyone have any experience with drying there own timber in a kiln?

Wow, that looks huge! I'm looking forward to the WIP. One of the places that I buy timber do there own killing. It is located in a corner of a huge ex agricultural shed which has been insulated with spray on foam or something. There are heaters, coolers, de humidifiers, humidifiers etc to keep the air & moisture constant in the shed which is where the killed timber is stored. So based on that I don't think a car park would be suitable for a kiln, but I'm no expert just an observer.

Charlie Woody":41sv1nef said:
Wow, that looks huge! I'm looking forward to the WIP. One of the places that I buy timber do there own killing. It is located in a corner of a huge ex agricultural shed which has been insulated with spray on foam or something. There are heaters, coolers, de humidifiers, humidifiers etc to keep the air & moisture constant in the shed which is where the killed timber is stored. So based on that I don't think a car park would be suitable for a kiln, but I'm no expert just an observer.

If they do their own killing I dont think I'll be visiting their yard anytime soon :shock:

RobinBHM":3amwfk8h said:
Charlie Woody":3amwfk8h said:

If they do their own killing I dont think I'll be visiting their yard anytime soon :shock:

May I ask why please?

Hi Good luck with your move,
I hope your recent health scare Isnt going to spoil this opportunity for you.

I run a joinery workshop, so have had all the fun of setting up. I rewired the whole factory and found the best way was to construct a ring of trunking around, then run single cables to connect each machine. Almost everything I have is 3 phase and so needs 1 earth and 3 lives. Most machines are on a radial circuit with their own mcb at cu.

I clad most of the walls with white melamine faced mdf, then ran the ring circuit and air ring around the top and dropped down where needed.

I would check what regulations you need to comply with before doing any work yourself -insurers will want you to have certification for any mandatory regulation. From memory for me they include:

fixed electrical installation at outset and every 3 years
PAT -I dont think is required as such any more
Compressed air -annual
Dust extraction -14months
Forklift: LOWER 12month test
Oil fired heater: maintenance contract with annual service

You may do all these at the moment, but if you are doing the electrical or extraction ducting yourself, for example, its worth making sure that the work will comply so if/when its tested you wont need to undertake much remedial.

Workshop layout, I drew the workshop plan on a large piece of paper and made cardboard scale outlines for machines. Sounds a bit Blue Peter but is simple and effective. I then made some cardboard cutouts of the longest piece of timber I would use and used this to help position machines. In my case the timber was 5.0 metres and every machine I have can throughput this length.

Charlie Woody":bkovzuyx said:
RobinBHM":bkovzuyx said:
Charlie Woody":bkovzuyx said:

May I ask why please?

I dont mind my wood kilned, just dont want it killed :D

Back