New workshop build. 9.2m x 3.4m progress pics added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The last photo is currently how it stands now and all the ply, osb, rubber roof, and cedar waney edge cladding arrive tomorrow! Hoping to get the last window put in finish all the noggins and cut the excess concrete slab away

Should I stop now because of this building regs issue or who would carry on.. honestly

Cheers

Just to update you all on my decision

Following a night of reading thread after thread and reg and reg.

I'm going to carry on with the build when the cladding is in place I will treat it with a clear fire retardant certified to comply with class 1 and class 0 spread of flame which will over me for the 30 min rule and internally I will board it with fire rated plasterboard which is equivalent to two 12.5mm standard boards and paint it with an Intumescent Paint again complying with the standard needed.

To me it's slightly over kill and will send me a few £££ over my current spend but if buildings regs ever did come around I'll have all the paper work and photos to evidence that the fire reg has been taken into consideration and those precautions would be sufficient ?

Sound fair enough?

It is always tempting only to look at the information that supports a preconceived or preferred solution.

Guidance from other councils certainly refers to non-combustible in terms of walls being block, concrete panels, steel frame etc - although this may be local interpretation rather than national regulation.

To be 100% certain you need to confirm with the local authority. Otherwise only you can decide on the probability of (a) discovery, (b) compliance, and (c) what action they may take. Hopefully you have a good relationship with your neighbour.

Also bear in mind that rectification now will be a lot easier and less expensive than waiting until it is complete and full of kit.

Sorry to be somewhat negative!!

Terry

Hi terry

Negative or positive comments are always noted, it's the first type of work Iv done where it's come under any legislation so this is fairly new to me. I'm not one to do things and not tell anyone however seeing as my frame is up and iv out vast amounts of hours into preparing the garden for this workshop is by pretty devastated if i was advised it would need to be block

School boy error maybe my roof and cladding arrived today so I made the decision to contact my local BC and I discussed with them my plans of using fire board internally and then using the fire retardant paint on the cladding and all timber and they said that should be fine but they have given me a number to speak to my local BCO as he will be able to deal with it. So I'm hoping for the same response from him before I carry on with the build.

I hope you get a workable solution from the BCO.

I'm sorry my reply about the regs has thrown a spanner in the works! -you did ask though! :D

I think what you propose is reasonable, the only question really is whether they will accept a somewhat unproven / untested solution -it is a grey area and if you get a pragmatic building inspector that can see you are making an effort, hopefully you can carry on.

Although building regs are a pain, it does make common sense to have a bit of a fire break between properties.

RobinBHM":3p592n91 said:
I hope you get a workable solution from the BCO.

I'm sorry my reply about the regs has thrown a spanner in the works! -you did ask though! :D

I think what you propose is reasonable, the only question really is whether they will accept a somewhat unproven / untested solution -it is a grey area and if you get a pragmatic building inspector that can see you are making an effort, hopefully you can carry on.

Although building regs are a pain, it does make common sense to have a bit of a fire break between properties.

I'm glad to know about it now rather than when it's all finished

The building control person I spoke to said what I was suggesting would be fine so i have left a message with my local bco and fingers crossed we can move forward quickly , I can always offer to insulate it with mineral wool which is also fire rated I believe but I'm hoping the fire boards and retardant paint will be sufficient on the cladding and timbers internally.

Will update you all when I have an outcome

So today I finished putting the noggins in place, put the last two joists in and the second windows so the frame is now finished.

Praying for a dry weekend so I can install the ply and rubber roof.

Are you covering the outside with breatheable membrane, then tile battens laid flat then cladding? -it has a significant impact on long term weather tightness and the air gap allows the cladding to dry out quickly increasing its lifespan.

RobinBHM":1darbs84 said:
Are you covering the outside with breatheable membrane, then tile battens laid flat then cladding? -it has a significant impact on long term weather tightness and the air gap allows the cladding to dry out quickly increasing its lifespan.

HI yes boarding with 9mm osb then membrane externally then 2x1 Battons at 400 centres before cladding with the cedar waney edge which is 25mm thick

Hi,

That will be a nice space. I may be wrong as the rules are slightly different in Scotland but I think anything with an internal space over 30 m2 also needs full building control approval and you appear to be just past the limit. Did the BCO you spoke to know the size of the building?

H.

Halo Jones":2u6x2yv5 said:
Hi,

That will be a nice space. I may be wrong as the rules are slightly different in Scotland but I think anything with an internal space over 30 m2 also needs full building control approval and you appear to be just past the limit. Did the BCO you spoke to know the size of the building?

H.

Hi the external measurements are 9.2m x 3.4m

Internal area along with a petition wall bring this under 30sqm there I am exempt from building regs, yes BCO is aware of the size and it is not an issue

They are happy with me within 1m using the materials I am using aslong as I use fire bird to board the inside, use mineral wool to insulate and use a fire retardant spray for the external cladding.

It's full steam ahead to get it finished now

Latest posts

Back