New to scrolling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Weegie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Decided to buy my first Scroll saw. After narrowing it down to two beginner machines I decided on the SIP 16".

Have to say that I can't walk away from the machine. It is addictive. Meant to be working today. Think I will phone in Sick :D

Still trying to get used to cutting tight corners but I suppose this comes with practice. Just need to get out there and buy a few books.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences and asking for advice :lol:

:)

I'm glad you're enjoying your saw so much.

A much recommended book for newbies is John Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook. It's not one that I own, so I wouldn't like to say either way. I think the first book I ever bought was the late Patrick Spielman's Scroll Saw Country Patterns which covers basic technique quite nicely, albeit briefly.

If I was asked to suggest books for a newbie, I think I would pick either Nick Engler's Using The Scroll Saw or Fred & Julie Byrne's Success With Scrollsaws as good books which focus on fundamental technique. Of course, a pattern book would be desirable too, and I'm sure Patrick Spielman's cornucopia of publications has something for everyone.

hi mate and welcome,
i see Gill given you a couple of books to maybe ponder over i started with one called scroll saw the fundamentals and it got me going nicely.

i'll add a pic/link which i put together of some tips that might help, i use a combo of these on really tight corners when i'm making my tree hangers, but you're right in what you say a lot has to do with practice and i've no doubt you'll soon find what works best for you, when you have an internal cut with your piece surrounding it and your unable to use any of these methods blade selection is just as important as anything mate ....if you've got a big thick heavy blade you're just not gonna make some of the finer tighter cuts bud :D
enjoy yourself mate happy scrolling!

cuts.jpg

Thanks for the nice replies guys. Cheers

Gill. interesting books. will need to have a closer look. Thanks

JayJay Superb tips Thank you.

Hi,
You've had some good tips. What I do for internal cuts, and I'm not sure whether I read this or, like hand writing, it's just me, but I go to the corner then back off a couple of times and ease into the new line - opening a small hole for the blade. If necessary I go back at the end of the cuts and remove any bits. Will attach a diagram.
Works for me.
Bob H.
Internalangle.jpg
[/img]

Oh well, if we're all posting images...

:)

WolfMouthDetail2.jpg

My technique for cutting tight turns like these is to slightly back the blade out of the cut, but only very slightly, just enough to stop the teeth from biting. Then I begin to turn the workpiece and as I do so, I try to keep the teeth from biting into the wood for as long as possible. As soon as the teeth begin to bite, I move into the cut decisively, simultaneously spinning the workpiece under a finger which acts as a pivot.

I had to sit down and think about how I made these cuts! It all happens so quickly, almost instantaneously, that the description of the technique doesn't serve much purpose. When all's said and done, you develop a feel for this sort of cutting as your experience increases. A lot of it is about having the confidence in your own ability to attempt the cuts. You'll mess them up the first, but if you persevere you'll find you're getting them right eventually. Sometimes it strikes me as being an almost magical process.

gandalf_the_gray.gif

hawkinob":3mavrw6i said:
"Oh well, if we're all posting images..."

And I can remember being told that a picture is worth more than a thousand words. At least I think I can.
Bob H.
As far as I'm concerned it still holds true, Bob. The smiling emoticon was supposed to show I was being light-hearted. Perhaps it didn't convey the thousand words I had hoped it would ;) :roll: :lol: . (Cor... that last sentence was more than three thousand words long!)

I love seeing pictures of all sorts being posted in this forum, be they proper patterns, rough sketches, photographs of completed work, whatever :) . It doesn't matter how humble or how rudimentary, if an image is posted with a view to helping us further our techniques or to show us what can be accomplished, it makes me happy. It's great to see so many images in this thread.

Latest posts

Back