How did we do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scockram

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Was it a steal or did he see us coming?!

We were enjoying a Steam Rally today and happened upon these to two planes on one of the stalls. My brother was keen, as the guy only wanted £10 each, but couldn't decide which one. So I suggested that we get the pair for £18, the seller agreed so we did, one each. It seemed like a bargain but I don't have much experience of buying second hand planes.

They're both no. 5s. One's a Bailey, (obviously been fiddled with), but I'm unsure the other. Is it actually a Whitmore? Are they any good?

I also bought rather a nice Slasher hook, in the picture.

PXL_20230916_102907020.jpg

PXL_20230916_102838298.jpg

Think you did OK. I have not heard of Whitmore but its British made and looks like its got all the bits that makes a plane work so no reason it wont make a good user. Most of my planes came to me in similar condition.P1010003.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010011.JPG
Better get scrubbing.
Regards
John

I have a slasher similar, inherited from my Father, only difference is the handle on mine is much longer.

He always referred to it as the hedge knife.

the slasher is actually a Bill Hook....

I wonder if the terms vary regionally. Round where I grew up, it would also be a slasher or slashing hook.

To me, a bill hook has a much deeper, heavier blade, so it has some heft and momentum when you swing it (e.g. for laying a hedge - cutting stuff maybe 2" diameter).

The one shown would likely be hard work on anything over 1/2" diameter.

I wonder if the terms vary regionally. Round where I grew up, it would also be a slasher or slashing hook.

To me, a bill hook has a much deeper, heavier blade, so it has some heft and momentum when you swing it (e.g. for laying a hedge - cutting stuff maybe 2" diameter).

The one shown would likely be hard work on anything over 1/2" diameter.
Completely agree. Sorry @clogs ! It's definitely a Slasher rather than a Bill Hook.

It's a Cornelius Whitehouse, Hedgehog brand, Cannock made job. So should be decent quality. It was actually destined for a friend, as he asked me to look out for a Bill Hook, I couldn't find any of them so this was the nearest thing. Very tempted to keep it for myself now though, and give him one of my other Hooks instead!

Never been a fan of round handles on bill hooks / slashers - a bit prone to turning in the hand when it's least needed...

That's probably a well worn bill hook, Brades catalogue of 1922 lists 48 patterns, some of which look very similar to that one.

An overnight dip in citric acid solution will do wonders for those plane bodies

That's probably a well worn bill hook, Brades catalogue of 1922 lists 48 patterns, some of which look very similar to that one.

An overnight dip in citric acid solution will do wonders for those plane bodies
Thanks. What is this citric acid solution exactly? I've seen it mentioned on here a few times. It's not just lemon juice I assume.

You can buy citric acid in powdered form ,personally i prefer just using a razor blade scraper gets 90% of rust off then a light rub with a scotchbrite and a block, lot less fath and no water

Powdered citric acid, about a tablespoon to every 250ml tepid water. Leave the plane in overnight and it'll go black, quick rinse in clean water then allow to dry thoroughly. A rub with wire wool, then light oil or wax and it'll look far better.

Or scrape and scotchbrite, whichever takes your fancy

I've used Mortar Cleaner, (hydrochloric acid), in the past for cleaning things up. That's been heavier tools like hammers though, probably a bit too aggressive for more delicate things like planes.

Latest posts

Back