New House, New Workshop Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trench for the 3 phase supply is also dug, however the RED power cable conduit is delayed, it will be delivered next week rather than this. The trench is into the next door farmers field and I need to get it filled before he starts planting again.
IMG_2912.jpeg

Since we were digging up the places and given that we are not connected to Mains sewage, it seemed appropriate to install a new sewage treatment plant. The house was originally served by a septic tank, and although we can use a septic tank, thinking ahead the way legislation is going, it’s better to have a full sewage treatment system installed. This allegedly outputs water fit to drink……but I’m not going to try it!

The leading brand seems to be Kingspans Clargester, which is both expensive and in my opinion (but what do I know!) overly complex. Basically a sewage treatment system has three tanks, the first a settling tank, the second an aeration tank and the third another settling tank. Anaerobic and aerobic microbs dine out on the poop coming in within the three tanks to create clean water coming out. The Clarge using rotating discs to aerate the second tank driven by a motor, belt and bearings, which in my humble opinion in a nasty environment is likely to go wrong over time. To get them fixed is also eye watering in every sense of the word. So, looking around I wanted a simple system, easy to fix myself should the need arrive, achieve the same standard of water purity output and be cost effective. I have chosen a Marsh system. This uses a simple grid in the bottom of the second tank hooked up to a ‘fish tank’ type pump that bubbles air throigh the juices. It carries all the same certification, and is dead easy to fix should it go wrong with the pump being outside the tank (Clargester. Had everything inside the tank) best of all it carries a long guarantee and is about 1/4 the price of a Clargester!

There are various sizes of tank, depending in how many people it serves……I was actually surprised how little difference there was in price between the ideal tank for my property and one larger Units. I decided to get a much larger unit, not only will this ensure that it’s future proofed for any further development at the site, but means the stuff goes through it slower initially giving the bacteria more time to chew on things.

Big ild thug isn’t it!
IMG_2801.jpeg

Tank installed, it’s concreted in, and will be backfilled with soil
IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpeg

The black conduit is to carry power and water to garden sheds in putting up in the garden.

IMG_2925.jpeg

More grading to be done to alleviate the mount Everest slope. You can see some of the soil that’s starting to be ‘dumped’ to o this.

Last edited:
A bit more progress, the reinforcing mesh went down today. In total approximately 134 sheets went into it. There are four layers at the edges and tgree layer everywhere else. I was surprised just how much mesh is going into the slab; the chaps installing it wondered just what was going to be riding it over it! The concert is due to be poured on Saturday assuming the building inspector gives us the green light tomorrow when visiting.

The piles have been cut off, a rebar inserted down into then and then filled with concrete.

IMG_2937.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

I’m in awe and I must confess, envious of your build my friend. I hope it continues on a trouble free road.
Taking photos to remind yourself of the journey is a good idea.
All the best 👍

The day started off so well, the building inspector turned up on time, the sun was out, sky was blue, and then he told me he was not signing off the mesh. It was too low. It has to be 50mm off the deck and on one corner the supports had sunk! Of dear!! So concrete now cancelled, team ‘motivated’ to sort out the mesh and building inspector back Monday for round 2.🤞

Last edited:
The building inspector gave the mesh his blessing….thank goodness.
The contractor responsible for the slab had decided not to book a concrete pump just in case it was failed. Instead he had decided to organise for the concrete to be mixed on site and using barrows hand filled!! I have to say I found the wagons that have all the ingredients separated on it and mix it as required intriguing.
I was concerned that the lorries / rate of pour may result in dry joints, but as each lorry was emptied the next was waiting.
IMG_2955.jpeg

IMG_2970.jpeg

"but means the stuff goes through it slower initially giving the bacteria more time to chew on things."

Doesn't work like that as the tank is always full, 5lts in 5lts out.

The building inspector gave the mesh his blessing….thank goodness.
The contractor responsible for the slab had decided not to book a concrete pump just in case it was failed. Instead he had decided to organise for the concrete to be mixed on site and using barrows hand filled!! I have to say I found the wagons that have all the ingredients separated on it and mix it as required intriguing.
I was concerned that the lorries / rate of pour may result in dry joints, but as each lorry was emptied the next was waiting.
View attachment 166521
View attachment 166522
View attachment 166523
Wow, that is a heck of a lot of concrete to barrow, dare I ask how many barrow loads.

I think it was around 50 m3 of concrete. The concrete company barrow it into place for you as part of the service. When a little over half way had been filled, they were able to use the extended chute on the lorry and fill / rake it into position.
None of the guys in the lorries were over 30!!

The walls are now going up. It will be rendered to match the house. After the first few courses of brick it’s block internal and external with a lot of insulation in the cavity. It’s not a passive house, but I hope with it being south facing it will take very little heavv to to keep it toasty.
It’s anticipated that the walls will take three weeks to build, four of the weather is against us. The steel work to support the openings is late, but hopefully will arrive this week.

IMG_3009.jpeg

IMG_3010.jpeg

wow Deema, what a build!! Great level of detail in this thread, please keep it up (y)... you might have even gone into more detail than I did in my build thread, and that's saying something 😅
Your smooth running so far is a justified reward for your level of knowledge, planning, preparation
I'm following with interest!:)

Martin

The steel supports for over the openings were delayed and should have been with us two weeks ago; only arrived today on a typical wet Cheshire day. There are three supports, one over the two openings that can be used as double and single garage doors (I’m installing bifolds) and one over the large window. I’ve christened them the ‘goldie locks’ supports, as we have a thin support over the single, large support over the double and a ginormous support over the window opening. I’ve no idea why it’s such a large section beam, and the photo does not show it very well. But look at the size of it compared to the blocks.
The support beans are on gusseted steel pillars, which are bolted to the slab. The block work can now be completed up to wall plate height in the areas around the supports. The gable ends will be blocked up after the roof trusses have been installed. The brickies estimate a day of laying before the wall plates can go on ready for the roof a week on Monday.

The supports make me smile, when I’ve pulled out windows and doors and seen a bit of ‘scabby’ 4x3 of your lucky acting as a lintel or, in lots of cases the window frame is the lintel that have stood for hundreds of years.

IMG_3062.jpeg

IMG_3063.jpeg

Latest posts

Back