New England chair - adirondack - plans anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm holidaying in New England at the moment - Mrs H is getting ready before we go out for dinner so I'm having a sneaky five minutes on the site. I've seen these chairs all over Vermont and New Hampshire - I think they're called ADIRONDACK chairs - does anyone have any plans because I want to try making a couple when I get home? A quick thread search showed someone did last year but not sure if they're stll on the forum so I thought I'd try afresh. Also, what wood - if not oak - would be best for these for outside use?

DSCF0848.jpg

Hi Rob H
Here are a couple of pics of one I made awhile ago; it is still going strong
and people always go straight for it!
I not only have the plans but also a full set of templates for routing the parts with a bearing cutter.
You would be welcome to borrow them if you can find a way to get them to and from you.
Adirondack-01.jpg

Adirondack02.jpg

Regards,
Martin[/img]

Rob
Drop me a line when you get back - I have an article from 2000 about making one.

The thing about Adirondacks is that the seat is quite steeply angled, so you are quite low to the ground and laid back. It's very easy to forget thet if the seat is angled, you don't necessarily want the back to be as angled as normal (WRT the seat), otherwise you are almost lying down. DAMHIKT. It's a good idea to make a mock-up with a couple of boards before you commit yourself.

Cheers
Steve

I have a SketchUp model of an Adirondack chair. It was drawn to be used to create dimensioned drawings but I've not gotten around to that part. I'd be willing to share for a price. ;)

Achair.jpg

its not paying for a pint of your favourite beer in your favourite pub thats the problem

its the air fare

dirtydeeds":3g3fs9h8 said:
its not paying for a pint of your favourite beer in your favourite pub thats the problem

its the air fare

rofl.gif

How'd you know?

Actually I was going to say, "A pint of your favorite in your favorite pub the next time I come to the UK.

Since I've never been to the UK I don't have a favorite pub, yet.

thats easy, two options

a pint of spitfire in the ramblers rest at chiselhurst in kent

or

at the victoria, which has its own brewery out in the wilds of suffolk near hadleigh

Thanks - everyone - limited wifi access out here so online when I can and Mrs H allows (not often). Hadn't planned on on being online but bought a MacBook in NY - on the basis that I could upload all of the holiday photos from the digital camera in case 'anything should happen to the camera'!

Steve M

Thanks very much will be in touch when I get back for the article.

Martin

Thanks - may be coming down to Taunton soon so not a million miles away

PS

Dewalt kit very cheap over here - getting very tempted....

Norm has done a couple of Adirondack pieces - may be worth picking up the videos/DVDs and plans while your over there.

Hi.

Google "Jake's Chair" or try this link

http://www.internetwoodworking.com/w5/chair.html

I built 4 of these about 4 years ago from Douglas Fir and used various finishes. The most successful was Ronseal 5 yr Woodstain. All the chairs have lasted well and remain outside all year round. One was damaged when a "little" gust of wind took it from the raised patio.

They are supremely comfortable and practical.

Hi

I made a Adirondack loveseat with plans from The New Yankee Workshop. The Oroko wood used is a little more expensive than pine, cost me £120 plus stainless steel bolts and marine adhesive. I finished it with 2 coats of teak oil and find it very comfortable. The plans and templates I made can now be used to make single seat chair. The plans cost £10

Doug

Back