New dw625e off the bay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Just won a dewalt DW 625 on eBay "not working". Apparent it just needs a clean.

Hopefully it will work after a going over with the wire wool. By the time you add the postage there will be little change from £100!! doh

I'm running a sweepstake that it'll never work and live on the shelf as a costly reminder to go to Axminster. ;

Cheers

Steve

Steve Blackdog":srvm56f2 said:
Just won a dewalt DW 625 on eBay "not working". Apparent it just needs a clean.

Hopefully it will work after a going over with the wire wool. By the time you add the postage there will be little change from £100!! doh

I'm running a sweepstake that it'll never work and live on the shelf as a costly reminder to go to Axminster. ;

Cheers

Steve

Opps !!!!! :oops:

looks like 1 too many 0 to me

hope you can fix it :wink:

Just had a look at it and I'll bet it will be fine after a good de-rust and general service. :D

I'm sure it will be great - guaranteed really as I passed on it, despite being round the corner and me being on the lookout for a good 1/2" router; just in case it wasn't!

Looks basically cosmetic really and I am sure you will be able to clean that up. Bearings and whatnot are easily found for DeWalts so there is no problem there. Not exactly a bargain but a good honest auction and I am sure it will serve you well.

Show us some pictures of the cleanup and let us know how you get on...

Jim

I reckon you got a bargain. I bought a similar, new but stored for many years, Freud router off t'bay. Once cleaned up it was good as.

Well. It turned up today and isn't bad.

It has cleaned up well so far. The motor seems to run smoothly enough (so far).

Only issues I need to sort is it won't yet plunge right down to the base and I need to soak the nut in WD40 to shift it. I might try a soldering iron on the nut to expand it and hopefully free it if the WD40 doesn't do it.

So far: chuffed.

You'd be better off trying Plusgas or a bit of diesel to free off the nut.

Sounds like a good find!

jimi43":3hrizpxe said:
Which nut are you trying to free up? Not the one on the collet?

Jim

Yes it was the collet nut. A night's soak in WD40 freed it up ok, but now the cutter is stuck in the collet.

I understand this is a common issue, but it's not obvious what the answer is.

All tips welcome!

Cheers

Steve

I have got stuck cutters out of collets by opening an engineers vice enough to sit the collet on top resting on each jaw then drifting the cutter out from above...

Good news: I read elsewhere on here that there is a technique. On the dw625 you have a two stage process to getting the cutter out.

The first few turns of the nut does nothing. When it becomes tight to the finger again, another half turn or so with the spanner loosens the cutter. I still couldn't get mine out (although it was loose) so took off the entire nut, collet and cutter as one.

So that job's done. I'll need to get the knack as I'm sure it should be easier than that.

My next and (hopefully final) job to get the show on the road is to work out whether I need to do something with the plunge depth.

It only seems to plunge around 35-40mm - not nearly enough to use inverted in my table. Is there a secret to this? Do I need a collet extension or do I take out the springs? Do I need new springs?

Thanks in advance:)

When I get bootfair jobbies like this one on the left (the Makita):

DSC_0004.JPG

I take it all apart and clean up the plunge shafts and the springs and give it a light coat of white grease then put it all back together and test. I find that 3M lapping film is delicate enough for this whilst removing all the rubbish and you can go down the grits to get a really polished surface again so the plunge is both smooth and to the full depth.

Try that.

You can get lapping film from Matt at Workshop Heaven (click).

Jim

jimi43":1kk4i7hx said:

erm jim, how many routers do you really need ? :lol:

it might be time to check in to routers anonymous and admit an addiction :lol:

Latest posts

Back