Members can turn off viewing Ads!

How to Line Boxes & Drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
Just noticed how old this thread is

I'll use this stitched to the box/drawer technique again, it turned out very well and had a better overall look more I think in keeping. Should it become stained or filthy, you undo the knot, pull the thread out and replace with new if you cant clean it.

About%20done%20I%20suppose%20006%20(Medium).JPG

NickM

Established Member
Reaction score
My use is for a blade strop, though I would like to try a box lining!
For box lining, I bought a whole skin of pig suede from GH Leathers. Cost £25 plus £9 delivery (delivery charge is a bit steep, but it's quite large parcel as it comes rolled on a card board tube and is around 3' long. I'll be able to get a few box lining out of that.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
For box lining, I bought a whole skin of pig suede from GH Leathers. Cost £25 plus £9 delivery (delivery charge is a bit steep, but it's quite large parcel as it comes rolled on a card board tube and is around 3' long. I'll be able to get a few box lining out of that.
Thanks Nick.
1.0mm cowhide seems about right.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
No sorry, cross purposes.

It is good for linings if boxes which is what I used it for. For a strop, I would use an old belt. Whilst you wait to get one you could use a piece of MDF.

It might be ok as a strop- Phil used old sofa leather in a previous post, but is too expensive for that purpose and I would expect a bit soft.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought an old leather bag (like a satchel) from a flea market and got plenty of material for a few strops. The leather is thick enough and works well.

Bogwot

Reaction score
Guys try leprevo.co.uk good range of leathers,suede and strop material. They are based in the North East of UK.

JonG

Established Member
Reaction score
This is so perfectly timed. I am just coming to the end of a jewellery box build and I was wondering what to do with with the inside. Thank you.

Rorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Any tips on what scalpel to use? Saw a silverline one on Amazon for a few quid and had 24 blades but a few people said it wasn’t great. Could do with something I know I can get replacement blades for.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Follow the surgeons? Rather than a scalpel, I use this and buy Swann-Moren blades, boxes of 50, most common blade shape?
These are craft blades rather than surgical ones, but quite sharp.