Jewellery box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressive workmanship; the attention to detail and precision is great and you obviously put a lot of effort in to the design. I have no idea how you constructed those curves so accurately. I hope your sister enjoys it. I'm sure she will treasure it and pass it down to the next generation as a family heirloom.
(Not to my personal taste at all but I can recognise excellent craftmanship when I see it!)

Nice. How do you join the corners. ? Spline joints and then veneer over them. ? Andrew Crawford's books are a little hazy on the issue. :rolleyes:

As others have said that is a stunning piece of work. I would be immensely proud if I made it: hope you are too.
I can help wondering how you made the curvy sides: are they solid, steam bent or laminated?
Martin
There is a booked called fine decorative boxes, it is by Andrew Crawford. It covers the basics of building this box. Andrew runs courses at his workshop aswell if anyone is interested. I just went with the book and a lot of trial and error.

Nice. How do you join the corners. ? Spline joints and then veneer over them. ? Andrew Crawford's books are a little hazy on the issue. :rolleyes:
Yes mate, splines for extra strength. I really think though that if mitred and glued well enough they would be plenty strong enough without. The base is also 1/4 " birch ply that is inset and glued. It also ends up about and inch thick with how the sides are shaped so plenty of bonding area.

Yes mate, splines for extra strength. I really think though that if mitred and glued well enough they would be plenty strong enough without. The base is also 1/4 " birch ply that is inset and glued. It also ends up about and inch thick with how the sides are shaped so plenty of bonding area.
Thanks. As clamping these shapes is difficult I just use a miter bond instant setting glue and then insert splines. I tend to use thinner walls though - about 12 mm suits me and the side rail hinges I use.

That is a beautiful jewelry box. You do lovely work and created a heirloom.

Very impressed with the overall design (and pulled off well).
Nice to see design with the end user in mind also the material choices are spot on complementing the piece without taking the focus from the whole 😀

Back