How to Line Boxes & Drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed how old this thread is

I'll use this stitched to the box/drawer technique again, it turned out very well and had a better overall look more I think in keeping. Should it become stained or filthy, you undo the knot, pull the thread out and replace with new if you cant clean it.

About%20done%20I%20suppose%20006%20(Medium).JPG

My use is for a blade strop, though I would like to try a box lining!

For box lining, I bought a whole skin of pig suede from GH Leathers. Cost £25 plus £9 delivery (delivery charge is a bit steep, but it's quite large parcel as it comes rolled on a card board tube and is around 3' long. I'll be able to get a few box lining out of that.

For box lining, I bought a whole skin of pig suede from GH Leathers. Cost £25 plus £9 delivery (delivery charge is a bit steep, but it's quite large parcel as it comes rolled on a card board tube and is around 3' long. I'll be able to get a few box lining out of that.
Thanks Nick.
1.0mm cowhide seems about right.

No sorry, cross purposes.

It is good for linings if boxes which is what I used it for. For a strop, I would use an old belt. Whilst you wait to get one you could use a piece of MDF.

It might be ok as a strop- Phil used old sofa leather in a previous post, but is too expensive for that purpose and I would expect a bit soft.

I bought an old leather bag (like a satchel) from a flea market and got plenty of material for a few strops. The leather is thick enough and works well.

This is so perfectly timed. I am just coming to the end of a jewellery box build and I was wondering what to do with with the inside. Thank you.

Any tips on what scalpel to use? Saw a silverline one on Amazon for a few quid and had 24 blades but a few people said it wasn’t great. Could do with something I know I can get replacement blades for.

Follow the surgeons? Rather than a scalpel, I use this and buy Swann-Moren blades, boxes of 50, most common blade shape?
These are craft blades rather than surgical ones, but quite sharp.

Back