New combi square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, happy new year!

I think its high time i invested in a good combi- square. Not after the multitude of attachments as i doubt ill use them. Just a nice quality 12" blade and head would be perfect. I'm a big fan of investing in quality when you have the funds so id be happy to go up to £90-100 but not past it.
I have vowed to do a tool chest this year with completely hand cut joinery and my old stanley combi was covered in paint by the old man :roll:

Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated!

P.s I'd love to go 2nd hand but it just gives me something else to faff with and i need to focus!

I bought a similar Starrett, but just the square with metric only rule. I went for the forged rather than cast head as I'm a clumsy so and so. Cost bang up 100 quid. If I need an imperial rule I will buy a spare one, I hate not having the same scale on both edges and both sides of the rule. The model was
33MH-300, I think it was from Amazon.
Cheers
Andy

I know everyone will be singing Starrett's praises, understandably so, it's a good square.

But my personal suggestion is the Bahco combination square as it's about 1/10th of the price of a Starrett and I've never had a problem with them. I've got 4 of them now and each one has been dead square from the packaging. They all get used every day and have done so for years with no faults or problems, plus it's nice to have a few accurate squares rather than just one.

But most people would just buy the Starrett anyway.

I also have a Bahco that I received as a gift. It was not quite square as new but that was easy to correct that and it is fine for my use.

I've got a Bahco too, it was and still is way out when delivered, it's in my "to do" pile to file the ways to make it square. Not a difficult job admittedly but a square that isn't square isn't a square so surely selling them like this is against the trade descriptions act :)

If you look at reviews, a fair few are delivered off- square. Apart from that, materials are pretty good for an aluminium bodied square and well cheap.

I bought one for a novice the other day. We bought the cheapest in the shop, and god knows what brand it was. It was simply a case of taking 4 or 5 of them off the rack and testing each of them to see which was square. As it happens, one was appalling, but the rest were bang on. The engraving on the rule was deep and extremely clear, the straight edge was spot-on straight, and the screw mechanism had a big easy to use knob that functioned well. What more do you want in a square? Frankly, if you want to waste £100 buying something that is precisely as good as something that is one tenth that price, then it's your choice. That sounds more "tool collector" than "user" to me.

Surprised everyone recommending the Bahco. I had one and it stopped locking properly, when I looked the pin that holds the blade had become worn. Maybe I was overtightening it or sliding the blade without loosening it enough but I put it down to the fact that the pin was brass (so softer ?) and the blade steel.

I have an Empire one now that is spot on.

MikeG.":20a140nw said:
I bought one for a novice the other day. We bought the cheapest in the shop, and god knows what brand it was. It was simply a case of taking 4 or 5 of them off the rack and testing each of them to see which was square. As it happens, one was appalling, but the rest were bang on. The engraving on the rule was deep and extremely clear, the straight edge was spot-on straight, and the screw mechanism had a big easy to use knob that functioned well. What more do you want in a square? Frankly, if you want to waste £100 buying something that is precisely as good as something that is one tenth that price, then it's your choice. That sounds more "tool collector" than "user" to me.

I think 'waste' is a bit harsh. Having said that, yes i do think there is a collector aspect to this - as i am not gifted with anywhere near good skills i probably am just pandering to the part of me that likes expensive stuff.
My last one was a stanley and bang on. May i ask how you checked them all for square and straightness?

cheers
JD

Take a flat piece of board with a true straight edge. Place the square on the straight edge and draw a line the length of the blade. Flip the square over and place it against the line. If it is square the blade should follow the line exactly. Do this on both inner and outer edges of the blade. Some people use a marking knife instead of a pencil or pen.

Nigel.

I use two practically all the time when I am working. Both Starrett. Small one - 6" and a bigger combi. Superb. Solid, accurate, markings are perfect and they will last be the rest of my life. I spent years using cheap ones and that was a mistake.

Nigel Burden":27ean9oa said:
Take a flat piece of board with a true straight edge. Place the square on the straight edge and draw a line the length of the blade. Flip the square over and place it against the line. If it is square the blade should follow the line exactly. Do this on both inner and outer edges of the blade. Some people use a marking knife instead of a pencil or pen.

Nigel.

I do that, but instead of making a mark, I simply rest a ruler/ straightedge against the edge of the square. This has the advantage that you can use the edge of the showroom sales counter. :)

Racers":11cjtdz0 said:
I bought a Bahco 400mm one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bahco-Combin ... 1438.l2649

It was square, but the rule has sharp edges and the sides of the body where a bit rough, a little time with a diamond stone and some wet and dry and its perfectly usable and only £13.73.

Cheaper on ffx.co.uk Not a whole lot cheaper, but I would rather buy there than give Ebay any money.

I have a small Starrett and a twelve inch Stanley. Both were very minutely out of square, the Stanley was the worst, but no more than a few minutes work to correct both of them. I occasionally check them and 5hey have stayed perfectly true in the 4 to 5 years I’ve had them.

Forged Starrett set that I bought in the late 8o's. At the same time I got the 2' rule and the metric eqivelants. So 4 in total that I can swap as needed.

Pete

Latest posts

Back