decent hand plane wanted /recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostrider

Reaction score
Hi my son is completing his joinery apprentership and i have been looking for a decent quality hand plane as a gift a no 4 or a no 3 he tried a no 3 from another chippy and realy liked it 90% of his tools a cordless but wanted something that would last for years if looked after but is practical as well.
i have been going in circles trying to decide on one so looking for recomendations / advice would realy like one in a gift box. or where ii can buy a plane box that would fit
no not a faithfull one thank you . looking for something a bit nicer budget about £150 any links thank you all the best ghostrider

thank you but realy want to get him something new i have a few old planes but most of his tools are old/used so looking for new planes realy unless something special comes along and would realy like some thing in a gift box for him to keep cheers
How about a lovely early Record no. 4 with rosewood handles and a nickle plated lever cap ?

Are the Luban?...or whatever they're called, from Dictum,
made of ductile iron, which presumably have the same tote as the vintage planes.
I wouldn't consider it a decent plane without that, i.e something from this day and age, that is,
and no better than the old ones, which need care.
Ductile iron where my money would go, and less worry about dropping a present,
so better chance it'll get a bit more use.

Used if you can find one, shine it up and buy a "plane sock".

Good luck
Tom

This would be my choice.
https://www.classichandtools.com/lie-nielsen-no507-rebating-block-plane/p624
Basically you get the block plane, which is quite a handy thing, but with the benefit of the rebating, which is a very handy thing.

It comes in a cardboard box wrapped in brown paper. It is what it is and doesnt need a cheap wooden box to pretend its better than it is. Arguments aside, Lie Nielsen make some of the best planes.

Last edited:
My most used plane is by far my Veritas low angle block plane. I use it every day.
Mine is starting to look a bit battered ( patina you might say) after 12 years or so.
It is very versatile and always handy.
Perfect for a gift.

The quansheng/ Luban / sold by many other names seem pretty decent for the money and nicely made etc but there is something extra nice about Veritas, it's the tiny attention to detail and the feel in the hand.

They also do an apron plane that looks amazing like a 50's car but its a bit expensive.
I suspect a gift box will be a bit pointless, if it is a useful tool it will go in the hand tool box where it's needed otherwise it's an ornament.

Ollie

Just a shout for the Quansheng. I have a 5 1/2 which is lovely to use, well finished and heavier than the equivalent Record and Stanley versions of which I have several, it also has a thicker blade and are bedrock style. I don't know about their No 4 plane but would expect it to be similar quality. Maybe not quite up to Veritas etc but at a far more affordable price point. Not as cheap as an old Stanley or Record though. The No 3 is £155 and No4 is £175 but there are sometimes special offers so maybe worth speaking to Workshop Heaven to ask.

Luban is the same company btw and Quansheng are sold in the USA under the brand name Wood River I believe.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/hand-tools/hand-planes/quangsheng-planes/
EDIT
Just another thought, whatever you get for him why don't you make a wood presentation box, he's likely to appreciate that far more.
I'm in the process of making an infill plane from an old bronze cast and intend to make a box for it to hopefully be passed on to my son when I pop my clogs. Not yet though. :unsure:

Last edited:
I agree - if you want to give a new bench plane for that kind of budget, Quangshen/Luban/Wood River is your only choice. They usually work straight out of the box, though will improve with a blade sharpening and a little fettling.

I'd recommend a No 4 over a No 3. When I began I started with a No 3, but soon largely gave up on it. It's a little too small, even for making ukuleles. The extra width and length on the No 4 makes the work go quicker, the extra weight helps push through troublesome grain, and (with care) it's just about long enough for jointing short lengths.

If he geets on with hand planes then he'll soon want a bigger one, so start saving up. I make most use of my Record 5 1/2 now. By then he should be up for fettling and setting up a second hand plane, so a good Record or Stanley will fit the bill and be well under your £150 for the next present.

Your budget may not be enough but a good used Calvert Stevens or Clifton is another option on the odd chance that you come across one.

EDIT: Thanks to all the contributors who shared their experience in this thread.
DON'T buy a Calvert Stevens ! 😀

Last edited:
I'd spend the money on either lie nielsen or veritas. For your budget you could get an apron plane, and he'll have something to last a lifetime. Lie Nielsen especially will hold its price, often increasing in value

I've not seen one good review over the years of the Calvert Stevens. Have you got one?
No. I've seen two or three but never used one. I remember when they were first introduced as a premium plane over a standard Record. Heavier casting, better finshed, Norris type adjuster which some like and some don't.

I handled a Calvert Stevens smoother a year or two ago, at a tool sale. Appeared finished nicely, but too shiny and glitzy! Price wasn’t bad but not enough for me to buy. Wasn’t it a “spiced” up Record for a tool retailer?

For me, I’d pop for a new Clifton#5 or a Veritas or LN low angle block.

I've not seen one good review over the years of the Calvert Stevens. Have you got one?
Hi. I bought one when they first came out and my opinion was they were over priced and useless. The two piece cap-iron i had it welded together and then milled to a perfect fit to the plane iron that made a big difference to the performance but i could'nt get used to the norris type adjuster so i sold it and later bought a Lie-Nielsen which is far superior and still use it today at 82yrs young

Hi. I bought one when they first came out and my opinion was they were over priced and useless. The two piece cap-iron i had it welded together and then milled to a perfect fit to the plane iron that made a big difference to the performance but i could'nt get used to the norris type adjuster so i sold it and later bought a Lie-Nielsen which is far superior and still use it today at 82yrs young
Yes avoid all norris style adjusters they don't work, except on one-hand-use block planes where the compact design is necessary.

Yes avoid all norris style adjusters they don't work, except on one-hand-use block planes where the compact design is necessary.
The adjuster on my Norris A5 works well enough.The original enquiry said the intended recipient liked a No 3 and since he will be the one using it,why shouldn't he have a No 3?We have had a shopping list of the planes that suit other people's preferences and experiences.There is nothing wrong with a No 3 and it's comparatively light weight can be a major plus point if you happen to be planing in some other manner than on a fixed bench.

Hi my son is completing his joinery apprentership and i have been looking for a decent quality hand plane as a gift a no 4 or a no 3 he tried a no 3 from another chippy and realy liked it 90% of his tools a cordless but wanted something that would last for years if looked after but is practical as well.
You didn't say which make of no.3 your son liked. Most modern bench plane makers have opted to make their planes significantly heavier than the older models. Last weekend I picked up a Woodriver bench plane at the store display, put it back on the shelf, it was a boat anchor, good only for making a youtube video. Find a plane restorer that can take an old plane and restore it to almost new condition. I've an acquaintance that does this kind of restoration. That'll give you an idea of what can be accomplished.

Many years ago I visited David Charlesworth and was talking about buying a Calvert and Stevens and I remember his views on them , I ended up buying A c/s and a year or so later I sold it and purchased a Lie Nielsen that I still have today, should have listened to the expert.

I've got a Stanley 3 with a plastic handle. It's a perfect little plane. I didn't even notice the plastic until somebody pointed out the seam across the top of the handle.
I've never seen the point of heavier planes - the lighter the better IMHO.

Back