New brushes new tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass this tip on. Many of my tools are really old 9 years plus. Some are much older. I recently had some issues with a cordless saw and an elu router. In both cases the carbon brushes had become brittle causing a massive loss of power and on the saw the motor to wedge. Replaced the brushes...wow much more powerful basically like a new unit. I did have to sand the commutater in the saw. I'd say if your tools are getting geriatric give it a try.
Jb

I've never heard of brushes becoming brittle with age before, I have seen commutators become so covered in detritus that nothing passes though (including enough wood resin to form a layer over the entire thing). I've also seen brushes worn so thin as to be basically copper backer on copper, but that doesn't happen these days because they all have a stop in them.

I think just cleaning up the com bar will do any tool a world a good (contact cleaner or a scotch pad) and new brushes can't hurt any old tool, so a worth while tip for anyone.

I have some old power tools, no motor details legible , how would I identify what size brushes and where would you get them from?

cheers

Got several boxes of brushes from a job lot. Mostly "domestic appliance" ones, but quite a range of sizes. If you have dimensions PM me and you might be lucky. Cost of postage only!

I once fixed a kawasaki alternator with filed down brushes from a Metabo drill.
Brushes are all made from carbon so if they fit or you can make them fit they will work.

Pete

Latest posts

Back