Question about DeWalt random orbit sander (DCW210)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Quay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a member of a local men's shed and we have two DeWalt DCW210 random orbit sanders (cordless, 18V). One of them is a couple of years old and needed a new hook and loop pad, so I bought a genuine OEM pad (via ebay) from FiXiT Power Tools (who are based in Colwyn Bay). After one week of occasional use, the new pad fell off the sander while I was sanding a piece of plywood. The screws hadn't become loose or fallen out, but the mounting holes in the pad had become enlarged around the screws until they were too loose around the screws and the pad just fell off. I hadn't noticed any warning signs, one moment everything was fine and I was sanding away and then the pad suddenly fell off. It wasn't until I picked the pad up off the floor that I noticed the mounting holes had become enlarged.

The previous pad (on the machine when it was bought brand new) lasted for more than two years but the new pad only lasted for one week. Communicating via ebay with FiXiT Power Tools is proving to be rather difficult, but I've now got their phone number and will give them a ring on Monday. They are an authorised dealer for DeWalt (and other tool manufacturers) and the pad that I bought is listed as a genuine DeWalt part. I'm baffled about why this happened to the mounting holes and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about it, or any similar experience of this problem.

I've got some pics of the pad on my phone and will try to add them below.

Photos taken after this pad came off the sander…

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4215.jpeg
    IMG_4215.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Something looks amiss here?
Either the pad is not original, as the closeness to the edge of the holes seems to have been extremely narrow.
Other thought is that should there have been washers on the screws to spread the load?

While your waiting for the supplier to respond, I'd fire off an email to Dewalt UK,just to let them know, they may step in if its a genuine part that's faulty. Also explain that the supplier is claiming its a genuine Dewalt part, just in case its a fake copythats badly made.

They are normally very helpful.

Something looks amiss here?
Either the pad is not original, as the closeness to the edge of the holes seems to have been extremely narrow.
Other thought is that should there have been washers on the screws to spread the load?

While your waiting for the supplier to respond, I'd fire off an email to Dewalt UK,just to let them know, they may step in if its a genuine part that's faulty. Also explain that the supplier is claiming its a genuine Dewalt part, just in case its a fake copythats badly made.

They are normally very helpful.
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. When I removed the original pad that's been on the sander since it was first bought, there weren't any washers on any of the screws. I'll contact DeWalt UK, that's a good idea, thanks!

Back