Sander and dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it's a part of the market where there are multiple good options which is great. I've mostly got DeWalt kit as I'd got into their battery range but recently branched out to Makita for a plunge saw as a replacement to an Erbauer. It's great but think if I had known I was going to need to substantially upgrade my dust extraction/sanding setup I would probably have gone for the Festool plunge saw as hear amazing things about that kit. That said, the Makita serves my needs and has been brilliant to do (once I added a Freud blade).

Thank you all, this is really great and has set me off on another research journey for which I now have a few more questions:

Extractor: that's very interesting re the L vs M as I thought it was just a case of if you're sanding wood you need the M so its good news the L will cut the mustard too. Would I be right in assuming the MIDI vs MINI is simply a power/capacity difference or is there more to it than that?

Sander: I will predominantly be using it to sand wood filler and as a finishing/denibbing sander between coats of paint. Most of what I am building consists of build in wardrobes and cabinets/bookcases etc I a lot of vertical work. With that in mind

(1) Will I benefit from the difference between the ETS and ETS EC which seems to mostly consist of a power difference?

(2) I've been using a 125mm ROS, it seems and even split between those that prefer 125 vs 150, weight & one handed operation vs speed & area covered etc, for the work I am doing combined with the weight struggles with existing 125, would there be any reason for me to opt for the 150 instead?

(3) Think I'm going to avoid the combi option and look at separate devices, the ROS I think I will go down the ETS/ETS EC 125/150 route but for corners/tight spots I think the minimal use for me doesn't warrant a premium device. At best I am thinking the Festool DTS Delta 400 but thats really so it has perfect connectivity to the extractor. Is there a non-Festool/substantially cheaper alternative that will also play nice with the Festool extractor ?

(4) Any views on battery vs corded? The way I see it is that battery gives you less wires tangling but you have the added weight and charging times (I don't own any own Festool products so would be new battery/charger line). That said, I am a tad confused about the bluetooth function as it seems brilliant to have the extractor turn on/off with the sander, but is that only on battery operated sanders as it seems the bluetooth function is related to the battery and not the device or have I got that all wrong?

Lastly, great point on the gloves Pete. I didn't even know they existed but again after a bit of research seems exactly what I need so thank you
Sander just come up on for sale page.
Thread 'Mirka Deros 5650 CV' For Sale - Mirka Deros 5650 CV

Goodies have arrived and I know I've hit core middle aged dad territory when I'm genuinely excited about a dust extractor and anti vibration gloves

20230127_112423.jpg
20230126_111634.jpg

Back