New bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenneth.hilton

Still learning
Reaction score
Hi

Im knew to this forum.

I do have a question. The workshop I am in has taken delivery of a brand new bandsaw.
When you rub your hand over the table it feels smooth in one direction and rough in the opposite ( the direction you would feed the wood)

I am of the opinion that the manufacturer sent it out like this so it is correct but my work mates think this is wrong and are keen to make the table smooth.

Can anyone advise who is correct Thanks

I would just see how it goes at cutting wood to start with. If it is harder to push the wood in the cutting direction than the other then talk to the place you bought it before taking sandpaper to a brand new machine. Pretty sure that would void the warranty.
Regards
John

Hi

Im knew to this forum.

I do have a question. The workshop I am in has taken delivery of a brand new bandsaw.
When you rub your hand over the table it feels smooth in one direction and rough in the opposite ( the direction you would feed the wood)

I am of the opinion that the manufacturer sent it out like this so it is correct but my work mates think this is wrong and are keen to make the table smooth.

Can anyone advise who is correct Thanks

its just grinding direction.

sanding it and some wax will solve the issue

Gents

Thanks for all your replies.

We have been looking at YouTube videos about the milling process of these table tops and are of the opinion to try the machine wax first see how that goes as some have said, then contact manufacturer as John suggests.

Phil it is cast so total weight of machine 750Kg and not so easy to send back

Thanks for the advice

You didn’t tell us about the table sort of. The tables are either ground or planed. If the table is planed, it will have distinct stripes running in the direction of wood flow. These are the best and really deal with stiction.

If the table has no marks but a satin finish, these are ground using a linear grinder. There should be no resistance in one direction versus the other. The only resistance should be stiction and it’s equal in either direction.

if the table has noticeable concentric circular marks, this is done using a Blanchard grinder. How good a surface you get with a Blanchard grinder depends on who does it. Quick and fast for out the door jobs have very course grinding which will behave as you described as the Blanchard grinds in one rotational direction.

wax will help here but you may need to get some Emory pads and sand the table down a bit using a tad of oil under the Emory.

Personally I would return it and get another one by a different maker. This is the first issue…. What Other Issues are lurking in the bowels of this thing?

Looks like a decent machine but does the table finish impact it's cutting ability? If you think that the machine is fine and are not happy with the table then why not get the supplier to supply another table, a lot easier than returning the whole machine. The issue here would be if all tables are finished to this standard and it is their normal!

Probably the appropriate question, is what is rough, your hand can feel a few microns of difference, which if that’s the level we are talking with a bit of wax and you push any length of stuff over would within a few hundred meters be nice and smooth. If we are talking rough where you can grate a carrot, it’s not right and needs changing.

I believe this is an image of the table of that model

ceco900d.jpg

If the direction of the ‘grain’ is the same as in the photo provided by RobinBHM then rough is good, the surface area the stuff is in contact with is minimised which reduces friction and makes it easier to push the stuff through the blade. Wax will sit in the grooves and be pulled up as stuff is worked and again reduce friction.

Back