new Axminster spiral cutter portable thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything to be gained from a spiral head block in a lunchbox thicknesser ?

This is in the same price range as the Dewalt and Makita offerings so suspect the spiral head is to try and make it different.

Double edge blades easier to just turn around if you get a ding in the blade, I am also assuming cheaper to buy an individual blade.

I always assumed that all spiral cutter blocks used TCT inserts. I wonder if you could replace the HSS ones it has fitted with TCT or not. Maybe it makes no difference.

Having read on here folks not being able to remove the screws that hold the tips from Axminster planers I’d avoid the brand like the plague when it comes to spiral blocks

Having read on here folks not being able to remove the screws that hold the tips from Axminster planers I’d avoid the brand like the plague when it comes to spiral blocks

I think you are referring to me. I did have a great deal of trouble removing the blades until my son came over with his DeWalt impact driver, then they all came out with no effort at all, needless to say I now own an impact driver and I can't think now how I ever got by without one!
The spiral cutter block as Triton said runs quieter, much quieter, it also leaves a much smoother finish which requires less finishing.

TCT cutters would last many times longer than HSS so I would be asking if they can provide those and of course the cost of them. It is not a true helical head as those have the cutters mounted at an angle to give a sheering cut and they are usually TCT 4 sided. Similar machines are sold here in Oz and there are usually TCT blades to fit them.
Regards
John

I think you are referring to me. I did have a great deal of trouble removing the blades until my son came over with his DeWalt impact driver, then they all came out with no effort at all, needless to say I now own an impact driver and I can't think now how I ever got by without one!
The spiral cutter block as Triton said runs quieter, much quieter, it also leaves a much smoother finish which requires less finishing.
Using an impact to do that sounds very heavy and scary to me!! Very hard to control the level of torque applied during tightening so would be incredibly easy to over tighten them.

Could you not just put a tiny bit of copper-grease or any other anti-seize compound on the threads before installation?

Using an impact to do that sounds very heavy and scary to me!! Very hard to control the level of torque applied during tightening so would be incredibly easy to over tighten them.

Could you not just put a tiny bit of copper-grease or any other anti-seize compound on the threads before installation?
Could just use it to remove them??

These screws should be tightened to the proper torque , on my felder that I purchased two years ago it was 5nm, I dont know if all planers are the same but I am sure if any were stripped the guarantee would be void.I have yet to purchase the torque screwdriver due to the price, would be interested if any one has purchased one.

Clive.

TCT cutters would last many times longer than HSS so I would be asking if they can provide those and of course the cost of them. It is not a true helical head as those have the cutters mounted at an angle to give a sheering cut and they are usually TCT 4 sided. Similar machines are sold here in Oz and there are usually TCT blades to fit them.
Regards
John
Yeah but one nick and it makes the finish total pants. And its never a single nick in one blade, it usually goes all the way round so you need to remove, then have them all ground.
And before anyone says you should pay more attention to what you're putting through, dried glue can chip blades

As to the rest of this threads 'complaints'
But personally I cant understand why anyone is presenting a problem with this when thee normal portable thicknesser is straight blades- every single one, and those blades are also hss.
Dewalt - hss
makita -hss
Triton - obviously -
other brand cheaper type machine - hss.
So why the complaints that the axminster is ass , that makes zero sense. Plus the standard is straight blades with the problems as above they have.
Axminster appears to at least have addressed this issue.

The cheats method to get a bit more life out of chipped blades is to shift one or both blades across maybe a couple of mill and the chip magically disappears!

The cheats method to get a bit more life out of chipped blades is to shift one or both blades across maybe a couple of mill and the chip magically disappears!
Thats never going to work on my thicknesser. Think 'serrated edge' :LOL:

I am so so SO tempted by this. I was mulling over buying yet another suspension fork for the bike, which is £450 reduced from about £1300. Even though I've recently bought 3 new forks

OH why do I buy the wrong thing just as the good stuff gets reduced 😭 😭

Last edited:
You could buy better forks that don't need replacing as often or if you are bending them then invest in a small hydraulic press and straighten them, I can recall a local engineering firm many years ago used to sort my bent forks out on a press.

Nice, but why HSS double sided blades?
The TCT cutter square blade fairly cheap and plentiful.
Suppose a Shelix cutter be more expensive, but potentially at least twice the life.

Yeah but one nick and it makes the finish total pants. And its never a single nick in one blade, it usually goes all the way round so you need to remove, then have them all ground.
And before anyone says you should pay more attention to what you're putting through, dried glue can chip blades

As to the rest of this threads 'complaints'
But personally I cant understand why anyone is presenting a problem with this when thee normal portable thicknesser is straight blades- every single one, and those blades are also hss.
Dewalt - hss
makita -hss
Triton - obviously -
other brand cheaper type machine - hss.
So why the complaints that the axminster is ass , that makes zero sense. Plus the standard is straight blades with the problems as above they have.
Axminster appears to at least have addressed this issue.
I was not implying there is anything wrong with the machine only that there should be TCT cutters available down the track and would be a good option when the first set of HSS cutters go blunt. Far as I know those small cutters cant be reground. This video is of an almost identical machine and they suggest the TCT option for hardwoods is better.
Carbatec 13" Spiral Head Benchtop Thicknesser — Hammer Roo
It gives a good rundown of how it all works.

Back