new Axminster spiral cutter portable thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not implying there is anything wrong with the machine only that there should be TCT cutters available down the track and would be a good option when the first set of HSS cutters go blunt. Far as I know those small cutters cant be reground. This video is of an almost identical machine and they suggest the TCT option for hardwoods is better.
Carbatec 13" Spiral Head Benchtop Thicknesser — Hammer Roo
It gives a good rundown of how it all works.
Tct cutters can be sharpened.

I was not implying there is anything wrong with the machine only that there should be TCT cutters available down the track and would be a good option when the first set of HSS cutters go blunt. Far as I know those small cutters cant be reground. This video is of an almost identical machine and they suggest the TCT option for hardwoods is better.
Good find, and you are right. I think they are the same machine.

Good to see TCT cutters can be used.

I'd be interested to see if Axminsters is a true spiral cutter. As this video clearly shows that their machine has straight inline cutters.
There are nice benefits for spiral.

But maybe Axminsters machine is merely trying to hit a price point rather than offer 'best in class'

We will see.

I'm gonna be interested to see a video run down when someone get their hands on one.

I wouldnt be suprised that the blade inserts are something special to Axy.......
u need universal inserts that already exsist to get a fair price.......

as for Felder inserts, are they made in Germany or a rebadged Chinese import.......?
no prob with well made Chinese stuff.......

Sorry, wasnt trying to be negative towards you. Sorry if it seemed that way. Im just trying to say all cutters usually are hss.
But i agree completely, although maybe if they were tct the price would be a bit more and hss was ax's way of keeping the price down.

I'd be interested to see if Axminsters is a true spiral cutter. As this video clearly shows that their machine has straight inline cutters.
There are nice benefits for spiral.
Just phoned Axminster and asked, looks like it's straight inline cutters, same as the Carbatec, so same machine rebadged

No, they're high quality forks, just very good bargains. I cant resist a bargain.
But you are not getting a bargain in reality, you can only ride one bike and that bike has just one front wheel and therefore one set of forks so any more are not really needed and therefore even at a reduced cost you would have saved more not buying them. This is like people who think they have more than two feet and need fifty pairs of shoes with height increments from 0 to 150mm in 5mm increments and in every conceivable colour.

I'd be interested to see if Axminsters is a true spiral cu

They are making a false claim by saying

1691659634654.png

when the manual clearly shows the cutters are in line and therefore not a true spiral cutter block. Maybe they are bending the facts by having multiple rows of these cutters where the offset between rows gives something along the lines of a spiral cutter block. Also 26 cutters is odd, does this mean you get two rows of 5 cutters and 4 rows of 4 cutters !

1691659584133.png

Just to show Axminster does know what a spiral block looks like then this is on their site

1691660452426.png

Attachments

• 1691659368968.png
    1691659368968.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
Also 26 cutters is odd, does this mean you get two rows of 5 cutters and 4 rows of 4 cutters !
At least, as they have to stagger the cutters, else all edges would align, an leave Groove in wood.

I think they should use the term, "... multi offset cutter block .."
As it certainly doesn't look like any spiral/shellix cutter block I've seen.

At least, as they have to stagger the cutters, else all edges would align, an leave Groove in wood.

I think they should use the term, "... multi offset cutter block .."
As it certainly doesn't look like any spiral/shellix cutter block I've seen.
It might even be more accurate to call it a 'Helical' block rather than 'Spiral'.

'Spiral' would generally be interpreted as the groves are machined along the length at a high helix angle, 'Helical' would suggest a low helix angle without alluding to what is a true spiral block.

It might even be more accurate to call it a 'Helical' block rather than 'Spiral'.
That is even further out, with a helical block not only are the cutters mounted on a spiral but are also angled to the axis of the cutter block so giving a shear cut like a guilotine. This drawing clearly shows the two.

1691682786323.png

But you are not getting a bargain in reality, you can only ride one bike and that bike has just one front wheel and therefore one set of forks so any more are not really needed and therefore even at a reduced cost you would have saved more not buying them. This is like people who think they have more than two feet and need fifty pairs of shoes with height increments from 0 to 150mm in 5mm increments and in every conceivable colour.
Well actually I need 2 for the ebike. It usually takes up to a fortnight for a company to service the fork, and as the ebike is my only form of transport from general commuting, to shopping to just getting out for a ride about, sending off the fork means i would either have zero transport, or replace it with another fork is a swop about type of set up , which is what the 2nd fork is for.

That is for an Ebike, which i need due to health concerns.

Now being an Ebike, theres always a chance the motor or battery might develop an issue and need to go into the shop to sort/repair. That process can take up to a couple of months. So in effect I need a 2nd bike to be kept as a spare for that eventuality.

Now im pretty sure you have a spare wheel in the back of your car/van, because if you didn't, you'd be off the road for as long as it took to repair/replace the wheel on your transport. This is the reason all cars carry a spare.
And Im also sure were your car/van to develop a more serious issue, say engine or gearbox problems, you would get a hire car You might even have more than a single car in your household.
And that being the case, either renting or having a 2nd car is no different to me having a 2nd bike.
So at the very least im going to need 3 forks. Ebike and spare, and one on the spare bike.

How many chisels do you own ? In truth you only really need about 4, but I doubt you only have 4 :LOL:

Last edited:
6 ??? :LOL: I have over 40 and I'm the poor cousin compared to some on here.
In fact there was a cabinetmaker who shifted premises and i was working in the building when he arrived. He had at least 5 tea chests full of bevel edged, carving and turning chisels

Now im pretty sure you have a spare wheel in the back of your car/van, because if you didn't, you'd be off the road for as long as it took to repair/replace the wheel on your transport. This is the reason all cars carry a spare.
Bit out of touch there, nearly all modern cars do not have spare wheels, but run flat tyres which are the normal fitting, I think its only Audi that still have a spare wheel.

Bit out of touch there, nearly all modern cars do not have spare wheels, but run flat tyres which are the normal fitting, I think its only Audi that still have a spare wheel.
And those without run flats have a reinflation kit of a liquid sealer and small compressor.

I've not had a spare in any car for about 7 years now, well not counting the one around my waist. 🐘🦣

They run quieter in operation and use less power.

They do run quieter, but it’s often found that they actually require more power than traditional straight knife cutterblocks for the same depth of cut, particularly with helical cutters that have much more friction from the shearing acting upon the cutters. People who have retrofitted cutters to machines have found they need to also uprate the drive motor to compensate for the extra load to keep up.

A true spiral block doesn’t use more power in fact it can use 30% less power, a shearing cut is way more efficient than a straight on cut this is why Wadkin made blocks that held the solid knife at a slight angle across the block & also why I was taught when surface planing on a machine to slight angle the timber into the straight blade.

Here it is from Kendal tools just one example from a very quick google search On spiral blocks.

9523C66A-7889-41C3-BDD6-A2253CF50540.jpeg

That is why the french guillotine had an angled cutting edge, rather than try a single cut across the entire cutting face of the blade it spread the cut across the blade as it cut through so requiring less effort.

A spiral cutter block cuts in the same way as a conventional single blade except it does it bit by bit and not in one so in theory less effort is needed. The helical block will also cut bit by bit but each cut is a side to side shear like the guillotine and to get this each cutter is slightly angled to the plane of the cutter block.

Spiral blocks seem to be more common than helical, is this down to cost or that the extra cost involved with a helical block is not justified ?

1691781264256.png

1691781147763.png

Back