Need to escape/reset

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes unfortunately the contract of employment is not worth the paper it’s written . I’ve not heard of a new contract that doesn’t need to be signed or agreed but I’m in no way surprised. As for you well - a distraction to keep your mind from wandering down the” what if path “is good for you and will help you to keep things in perspective. If what you’re making still gives you that proud feeling and pleasure of “I’ve crafted this with my own hands “ with the tools you have then that will help you . Take care and keep posting..
It's papercraft flowers that I've had every child in school write their name on a leaf or petal, should look like this when finished...
17098802957837006176706271059098.jpg
Had to print 2 copies to have enough petals for the 426 children we have here, once it's finished I'm then going to turn a vase for them all.

My lad ( 14 ) has given me nothing but grief today all because his mom didn’t wash and dry his favourite jogging bottoms, he autistic and has sensory processing disorder and pda . Every day is a challenge for him and myself as he just shouts at his mom , my friend phoned me last night to inform me that after we finished a small job I was sat in his kitchen and I’ve somehow got black polyurethane silicone on the dining table chair 😫😫and to top it of I’ve measured a blind that has been made to measure and it,s too big . Because I forgot to write the size down I can’t prove the customer has miss read 1,043 to 1,430, and just for good measure my son has chosen some new joggers and insisted that ex large will fit. Got home he excitedly try’s them on and oh xxxx they don’t fit . Now a few years back I would have exploded into a rage but I calmed him down and explained it to him that he’s gained weight because of his eating and sleeping habits and he doesn’t exercise. I’ve changed them to 3 x l and he’s now a happy chap . Point I’m making is sometimes life throws everything at you and more but staying positive and keeping calm is the best way . Loved your post where you said your missus was planning a trip to crufts and you didn’t want to spoil it but it’s also Mother’s Day soon and you will probably have the same way of thinking. Please just be careful as sometimes there won’t be a good time and you just end up putting it off . I’m sure you will find your way and the advice in this thread applies to many of us in a similar situation but for many different reasons. Keep up the positive attitude and don’t feel bad if you need to sound off and unload your bad stuff . Take care of yourself and your partner .

My lad ( 14 ) has given me nothing but grief today all because his mom didn’t wash and dry his favourite jogging bottoms, he autistic and has sensory processing disorder and pda . Every day is a challenge for him and myself as he just shouts at his mom , my friend phoned me last night to inform me that after we finished a small job I was sat in his kitchen and I’ve somehow got black polyurethane silicone on the dining table chair 😫😫and to top it of I’ve measured a blind that has been made to measure and it,s too big . Because I forgot to write the size down I can’t prove the customer has miss read 1,043 to 1,430, and just for good measure my son has chosen some new joggers and insisted that ex large will fit. Got home he excitedly try’s them on and oh xxxx they don’t fit . Now a few years back I would have exploded into a rage but I calmed him down and explained it to him that he’s gained weight because of his eating and sleeping habits and he doesn’t exercise. I’ve changed them to 3 x l and he’s now a happy chap . Point I’m making is sometimes life throws everything at you and more but staying positive and keeping calm is the best way . Loved your post where you said your missus was planning a trip to crufts and you didn’t want to spoil it but it’s also Mother’s Day soon and you will probably have the same way of thinking. Please just be careful as sometimes there won’t be a good time and you just end up putting it off . I’m sure you will find your way and the advice in this thread applies to many of us in a similar situation but for many different reasons. Keep up the positive attitude and don’t feel bad if you need to sound off and unload your bad stuff . Take care of yourself and your partner .
I can be as calm and patient as a Saint at work, at home can be difficult, I've never lost my temper but I can easily get frustrated and get to a point where I feel I'm not being heard or listened to so just stop trying, her depression has been pretty bad this week, most days she hasn't got up until after 2pm and then sits in her PJs and a blanket watching telly until 11ish so today I'm just happy she got up dressed and out the house, she doesn't enjoy the dog shows and country fairs as much anymore since we lost our Springer Spaniel, Mya was her absolute world so the fact she has managed to get up and out is a big deal, mothers day and Easter isn't a thing for us so they won't get in the way.

I can be as calm and patient as a Saint at work, at home can be difficult, I've never lost my temper but I can easily get frustrated and get to a point where I feel I'm not being heard or listened to so just stop trying, her depression has been pretty bad this week, most days she hasn't got up until after 2pm and then sits in her PJs and a blanket watching telly until 11ish so today I'm just happy she got up dressed and out the house, she doesn't enjoy the dog shows and country fairs as much anymore since we lost our Springer Spaniel, Mya was her absolute world so the fact she has managed to get up and out is a big deal, mothers day and Easter isn't a thing for us so they won't get in the way.
Omg she has got it bad , and it’s no wonder you too are struggling. The not getting up until late. not wanting to go out , on top of the hoarding are all classic signs of anxiety and depression. Although I’m not an expert in this field I can 100% relate to your situation. It also sounds like she has never got over the loss of your spaniel mya and would benefit from counselling for that and the hoarding. She definitely needs help and I think that in itself will help you . My x had post natal depression which went on to full depression and as I’ve said would not take my advice to get help . So I was getting up at 5.am to feed and change our son, driving to work a
For 9 hrs , then after work go shopping, get home and cook an evening meal, bath and change our son etc day in and out for several months . It’s takes its toll on you and that’s where imo you now find yourself. But at least you have the members here to vent to and I can say that there is excellent advice for you to help guide towards your goal. I myself had nobody to help me untill I went through HR at work and the lady I spoke to was absolutely amazing but you have to be honest and and tell him/ her exactly how you feel . Truly hope you get some help and especially your partner . Oh and should anyone tell you to “man up “ or there are plenty people worse off than you then please ignore them as they have no idea. I will keep an eye on this thread and I’m looking forward to when you actually getting the help you both desperately need . 💕💕

Omg she has got it bad , and it’s no wonder you too are struggling. The not getting up until late. not wanting to go out , on top of the hoarding are all classic signs of anxiety and depression. Although I’m not an expert in this field I can 100% relate to your situation. It also sounds like she has never got over the loss of your spaniel mya and would benefit from counselling for that and the hoarding. She definitely needs help and I think that in itself will help you . My x had post natal depression which went on to full depression and as I’ve said would not take my advice to get help . So I was getting up at 5.am to feed and change our son, driving to work a
For 9 hrs , then after work go shopping, get home and cook an evening meal, bath and change our son etc day in and out for several months . It’s takes its toll on you and that’s where imo you now find yourself. But at least you have the members here to vent to and I can say that there is excellent advice for you to help guide towards your goal. I myself had nobody to help me untill I went through HR at work and the lady I spoke to was absolutely amazing but you have to be honest and and tell him/ her exactly how you feel . Truly hope you get some help and especially your partner . Oh and should anyone tell you to “man up “ or there are plenty people worse off than you then please ignore them as they have no idea. I will keep an eye on this thread and I’m looking forward to when you actually getting the help you both desperately need . 💕💕
Some at work have learnt the hard way that they would better off poking an angry wolverine than telling me to man up, that phrase along with "its only man flu" are the quickest ways for anyone but more so women to pee me off, two terms used by women who generally expect men to be at 100% for 100% of the time to belittle and negate men when we're anything less than that.

Some at work have learnt the hard way that they would better off poking an angry wolverine than telling me to man up, that phrase along with "its only man flu" are the quickest ways for anyone but more so women to pee me off, two terms used by women who generally expect men to be at 100% for 100% of the time to belittle and negate men when we're anything less than that.
Agreed 100% my x can wind me up in a split second but I just bite back , she also has the ability to make an issue with our son worse , she often takes his reactions to certain situations personally but I know that he’s just venting or struggling to cope with said situation. Anyway as said I look forward to the day when you are in a better place , at my worst I thought that life would never get any better but a little at a time , don’t expect miracles, and slowly but surely it does . I still have bad days and a lot of things wind me up but I manage to cope . My son would be lost without me and my mom in the care home always looks happy when I visit every few days so I have to stay strong . You I’m sure will find your way back to a relatively normal life..

Stig, your girlfriend/partner (this always sounds arms length without a name) is depressed, and this is part of the reason for the hoarding - a lack of energy to drive herself to do tasks. The loss of the spaniel is also, no doubt, feeding into this. Realise, however, that she has minimal insight into her condition, and this adds to her low energy level. Above all, your sensitive support and understanding is your own worst enemy - there is no "best" time to speak with her about making an effort. You need professional help NOW! Go and set this up with your GP as soon as possible.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
@Stigmorgan

I suffered severe depression with a skip load of anxiety thrown in after being beaten to within an inch of my life by a psychopath a few years ago, it was debilitating.

I was borderline suicidal and nearly sectioned and I hated the medication. The only way out of it for me was finding something that I really wanted to learn, so I went to art school for 5 years of art therapy in the end.

I suspect that the art school was really a secret open institution, as everyone there, including all the staff, was a serious nutcase as well, so it was a positive experience in a safe place where I could do my own creative thing.

It's a very tough one to crack and unless you've been in the very darkest of dark places yourself, it's difficult to understand and you both have my sympathies.

P.S.

I knew I was suicidal and it scared the shiz out of me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately as we are a primary school there is no workshop space in school, that's more secondary school benefits but I don't deal with gobby teens, infants are much more fun.
I had 10 years teaching infants then in a strange career move went on to run secondary school workshops for 17 years.
Now retired I miss the workshop banter as each week’s new initiative was unveiled!😂😂

Hi there @Stigmorgan - I’ve just seen your finished project for your head teacher and I’m amazed that even with your current issues and concerns you can produce a piece of art like this . Absolutely stunning and awesome in every aspect … even more reasons to get things sorted and spend your spare time on the things you are passionate about. ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Hi there @Stigmorgan - I’ve just seen your finished project for your head teacher and I’m amazed that even with your current issues and concerns you can produce a piece of art like this . Absolutely stunning and awesome in every aspect … even more reasons to get things sorted and spend your spare time on the things you are passionate about. ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹
Creating these things allows me to escape and concentrate on only what I'm doing, the plan has always been for one of the bedrooms to be part guest room part craft room so I can work on projects in peace, hopefully it will happen 🙃

I’m about halfway through designing a landscape makeover for a family member. I’ve done many patios over the years but I’ve never used these 20mm thick porcelain slabs so I’m a little hesitant to say the least. It’s a tribute to a recently passed relative who has left them the money to be used on their garden .I’ve a neibour who does this for a living and his work is 100% but they can’t afford his quote hence they have asked me . So I’m just thinking if I can put in as much of the effort that you put into that gift for your headteacher it will be a fitting tribute . I may do a wip thread but there won’t be much in the way of woodwork. I only ever get this feeling when I’m doing something that I’ve not done before but of course still want it to be as near to perfect but that’s probably the stress and anxiety talking .. 🙏🙏

I’m about halfway through designing a landscape makeover for a family member. I’ve done many patios over the years but I’ve never used these 20mm thick porcelain slabs so I’m a little hesitant to say the least. It’s a tribute to a recently passed relative who has left them the money to be used on their garden .I’ve a neibour who does this for a living and his work is 100% but they can’t afford his quote hence they have asked me . So I’m just thinking if I can put in as much of the effort that you put into that gift for your headteacher it will be a fitting tribute . I may do a wip thread but there won’t be much in the way of woodwork. I only ever get this feeling when I’m doing something that I’ve not done before but of course still want it to be as near to perfect but that’s probably the stress and anxiety talking .. 🙏🙏
I've done a few patios but never used porcelain, I imagine you'll need a bit more careful cutting them than regular stone/concrete slabs.

I've done a few patios but never used porcelain, I imagine you'll need a bit more careful cutting them than regular stone/concrete slabs.
Yes it is like laying tiles on a concrete floor but outside,, I’m hoping when the job is done I’ll be saying to myself “ what was you worried about “ it’s also why I’ve not progressed with cabinet making as all the knowledge in the world is useless until you have the confidence to match knowledge. Anyway keep at it and keep posting 👍👍

Just wanted to mention Andy's Man Club, which (terrible name aside) is a great charity that meets on Monday evenings for men to share their feelings. It's an incredible tool if you can bring yourself to go.
These meetings can be a really great way to unload and get a feeling for others in the same situation however when things were at their worst for me the last thing I wanted to hear was other peoples problems. You have to be in a good place before you can take on the problems of strangers. Once you are in that ( good place )they can be an excellent resource as for me helping others helps me -part of the reason I joined ukw….

@Stigmorgan I don't really have any specific advice to add but just to wish you all the best mate - feeling down for whatever reason is very hard - I admire you and others for saying it on here as it is - it's not easy to say. I know.
Just want to say it's been helpful personally to read everyone's honest and open comments in this thread and I'm glad this forum has members who are good and kind people.
I've been on here almost 20 years and I keep an eye out to comment / help on the brands I've been involved in - I've lurked for a long time in the background but threads like this go beyond the 'should I buy this' to the next level where we realise we are all people with different things going on in life as well as woodworking and it's nice to see others support each other when we can.
Best wishes to all is all I want to say.
Nick.

I recently had the need to cut a lot of porcelain slabs, made much easier by buying a stone cutting disc for my rail plunge saw, could be the answer.

I recently had the need to cut a lot of porcelain slabs, made much easier by buying a stone cutting disc for my rail plunge saw, could be the answer.
I have considered this but the expense and then storing it for a 1 off job is not practical. I was considering hiring one until the family member in question asked if I could cut my labour time from 16 days to 7 - 10 at the most. So dig out out over 20 sq mtrs by hand and barrow it up the path and lift and tip into a skip ,, loads of other work like the 6 ton of hardcore to be barrowed in , then the 1 cu mtr of concrete, 4 ton of decorative gravel , 2 ton of topsoil, followed by 20 sq mtrs of turf and to finish 24 8ft sleepers to install done by 2 of us ..????

Back