NailGun for workshop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm starting the new workshop as soon as the blimmin digger gets here!
and i want to get a nail gun :D
It will be used to fix 18mm OSB to studs and to fix shiplap to OSB mainly
I dont suppose i'll really need it for the actual framing up much in comparison but was thinking of a Paslode framing nailer anyway so it could be used for other things in general.
will the smallest nail this will fire be overkill (60mm) ? or should i go for a second fix nailer?
what do you think :?:

Mike

Yep, me too. All my walls are made from OSB on a wooden Frame. I screwed all the panels in place. I wanted to hang stuff off the walls so wanted it as strong as possible. I bought a few boxes of Goldscrews from Screwfix. It was not as hard work as it sounds. my Workshop is 30x20' .

Have a look here.

Of course if you want us to justify you getting a nail gun for you :wink: Then yes, you absolutely must have one. :D

Lee.

Sooo
why couldnt i use the second fix gun to fix the osb ? will it not be man enough?

>"Of course if you want us to justify you getting a nail gun for you Then yes, you absolutely must have one."<

well of course i do :D

i'd need something to fix the shiplap it's just which one?
:)

Mike

The nails for the 2nd fix gun are too light for fixing the osb. Screws pull everything in tight.You could use the 1st fix gun to fix the osb but the heavy gauge nails could split the shiplap
Cheers Steve

Maybe you should buy 1st and 2nd fix gun :lol:

Mike

The paslode im350 first fix nail gun is ideal for what you want. I have one and have used it to build 5 shed type summer houses etc. :D :D

It fires 50mm to 90mm nails. The longer ringshank nails ideal for the frame 50mm ringshank for shiplap and ply, the use is endless plus no banging nails in the structure with a hammer moving everything about. :wink: :wink:

Very happy with mine.

Les

les chicken":3e8tcbs5 said:
Mike

The paslode im350 first fix nail gun is ideal for what you want. I have one and have used it to build 5 shed type summer houses etc. :D :D

It fires 50mm to 90mm nails. The longer ringshank nails ideal for the frame 50mm ringshank for shiplap and ply, the use is endless plus no banging nails in the structure with a hammer moving everything about. :wink: :wink:

Very happy with mine.

Les

Ahh! I didnt realise the Paslode fired 50mm nails :D
thanks everyone!
I think i just convinced myself! :D :D :D

The only thing i think i can add is with the dewalt guns there is no oiling or cleaning as such. i generally have a nailgun in my hand for at least 5 /6 hours a day alot of the time. ive had 2 paslode 1st fixes that gave me a little trouble before they were robbed and the 2nd fix gun i had (also robbed ) kept jamming . No probs yet with the Dewalt and i cant wait for the 1st fix gun coming out next year. But maybe if its only for general use Mmmm
Cheers Steve

I've had a DW D51844 for a few years now (since replaced by the D51845) - fires collated ring shank nails 50 to 90mm long. It has done several big fencing projects, built a number of sheds and summer houses, built panel storage racking for the workshop, etc. Surprisingly light for the size and power (because the body is magnesium) and doesn't seem to suffer too many jams or misfires, even in "bump" mode. You really need something this size for construction work, 15g nails simply aren't man enough for the job unless you glue every joint as well (what a pain!). If you intend to do a lot of roofing work I'd seriously consider a gun with a coil magazine - trecking up and down a roof to reload every 65 nails is a complete downer.

BTW as far as I know all big guns currently available require oiling. My solution was to fit an air line oiler to the compressor. Cost me all of £35.

Scrit

mmh
ok dewalts sound good then :D do they do a cordless or should i stck to Air? i've got a 7cu ft compressor?

Thanks
Mike

Never seen a cordless that would drive ring annulars. Only the compressed air and cartridge (Paslode, P-C Bammer) types. I've used the DW on a little 7cfm B&Q compre4ssor - runs a lot of the time but otherwise OK (because it has a reservoir - no reservoit, no dice I'm afraid)

Scrit

Scrit":35dacv2e said:
Never seen a cordless that would drive ring annulars. Only the compressed air and cartridge (Paslode, P-C Bammer) types. I've used the DW on a little 7cfm B&Q compre4ssor - runs a lot of the time but otherwise OK (because it has a reservoir - no reservoit, no dice I'm afraid)

Scrit
yeah sorry i meant the gas type :shock:
I've been looking at prices and its approximately twice the price here as in america ( no change there then!)
has anyone ordered from america?

Mike

I've always been a bit concerned over the running costs and environmental impact of those cartridges. Anyone care to comment?

Scrit

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/file ... tId=226256

This is what i use now . I 2nd fix a 3 bed 2 floor house in 3 days
using 50mm galvanised pins on the architraves skirtings ballastrade and a tgv ceiling in the kitchen . For The doors and frames i use my trusty Cordless Screw gun . All 18v Battery powered and no gas no leads or compressor . Dont think the shiplap would be a problem
Then i move onto the next house , i think there are 60 in total on this new estate
Cheers Steve

I've just ordered the Dewalt for $229 from Toolking in the USA which is less than half the price of the cheapest i could get it here!
with delivery at £30 airmail express i should get it fAIRLY soon :D
Just hope the import duty is not too bad :shock:

Mike

mikepooley":1kw5uvfn said:
I've just ordered the Dewalt for $229 from Toolking in the USA which is less than half the price of the cheapest i could get it here!
with delivery at £30 airmail express i should get it fAIRLY soon :D
Just hope the import duty is not too bad :shock:

Mike

Just recieved it yesterday -- no mention of import duty !! so i dont know if i've got away with it?

nice tool at over £150 saving !!

Mike

tiler99":2g8jf9qy said:
If you havent had to pay before you received it then you have got away with it :D

WOW! :D :D :D :D :D

I shall be buying from the states again :D
very pleased with the service from toolking as well - knew where my nailgun was at all times.

delivered 3 hours b4 they estimated too -- which is my only complaint LOL :D

Latest posts

Back