Workshop Roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An acquaintance who works for a builder's merchant (very quickly) made a comment when I said I was considering metal/clear sheeting for mine - you won't live with the noise when it rains heavily.
Mine's going to be EPDM. I've increased the window area to compensate for not having light through the roof.
I’m considering a roof light

when I said I was considering metal/clear sheeting for mine - you won't live with the noise when it rains heavily.
Rain noise is very dependent upon what you specify and how you install it
Pre painted steel roof will work out about £1000 for all materials including insulation
PIR insulated panels are not very good at sound reduction as they are so rigid and lightweight
I did a post a while back on painted steel roof and wall cladding for workshops

Geoff_S.....
rain noise is really not that bad when using insulated double skinned roofing sheets.....
when it rains her it's torrential and no probs sleeping...
it need little support which ever way u span ur shed.....
most metal roof panels have a 25 year warranty.....fit and forget.....mine is 40-50mm thick insu....
take a look at my photo's.....caravan shed is 11mx7m....main storage roof is 7x7m
IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_5215.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5664.jpeg
    IMG_5664.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
But, now to the cost ... £4,500 +VAT. That seems an awful lot for 3 layers of heat gunned felt to me.

That is silly numbers - either EPDM or if it’s going to get crud / branches etc dropped on it then use GRP. Not difficult to DIY in a day if you have easy access (scaffold tower at either end helps) and will easily outlast the rest of the building.

I’ve seen it done where they have pre-coated OSB sheets and then installed them, lapped the joints with fibre bandage and then top coated the lot and it took a few hours to install - as most is done at ground level it made for a very quick and easy job.

£600 would get you the kit to do it and it’s a weekend to do on your own I expect.
https://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/RP5-Roofing-Material-Pack.html#SID=179

For pricing context, I wanted an extra durable edpm roof that could take some modest foot traffic.
I bought Carlisle Resitrex edpm (a thicker rubber with reinforcing mesh and bitumen backing). This is sold in 10x1 metre rolls.
I did a one day course in how to fit it and bought a pro grade barrel heatgun for welding the seams (you need that as it's done at 600+ degrees and the barrel style with a 40mm flat nozzle are pretty much essential for the job.)
30m2 of membrane, bonding primer (most of the membrane is glued down, only the edges are hot welded) and the course cost about £1100 this year plus the gun which is a few hundred but will probably resell when I'm done with some other uses.

I wonder how noisy the kinspan metal sheets are? I'm talking about the ones with 100mm PIR in the middle

This is the way to go..

Only needs purlins to hold down as it is self supporting. All in one, insulation roof covering and even a painted ceiling.
Noise level is the same as any flat roof.
Up to 6M in length.

I found some 'surplu stock' from a building site, brilliant.

This for a research starter.

https://www.insulatedpanelstore.co....of-panels/quadcore-ks1000rw-roof-panel-black/
Though even the exterior paint finish comes in varying qualities/lifespan.
Butyl sealant strip and screws.

https://www.fixfast.com/

If your structure is capable of taking some weight then don't rule out slate because out of all the options slate will outlast anything man made and gives an appearance that blends in without looking industrial. When looking at a potential build don't have a flat roof, just changing to a pentroof at 20° will be a better option, I always view flat roofs as the cheaper option compared to having roof structures which allow better run off.

Though a traditional slate pitched roof is probably 5/10 times the cost of the industrial metal roofing I linked to above.
More if the basic structure is not designed to carry that weight.
So it's horses for courses.

You can of course have a pitched roof using metal panels, which is common in some countries.

Metalroof.jpg

When I was shopping for my shed roof I had already made the trusses and it was boarded ready for final layer. Looked at steel cladding from a local firm called Steadmans but once you added on all the extra's like flashings it was not cheap. Looked at shingles and even a rubber slate that reminded me of a mudflap but then got a quote from a roofer working nearby for a slate one, it was good to see an example of his work. I really though it would be a big cost but it came in at £875 all in so just went for it.

I am going to demolish my 30 year old workshop and build another in it's place. The old one has served me well, but is an extended shop bought shed, all built in 2"x 2" and is sagging/rotting/leaking and generally showing signs of collapse. I guess I could get a few more years out of it but it would only be delaying the inevitable!

So a proper bespoke job is going to be done this time with no compromise. 4"x2" frames. 6"x2" floor and roof joists, Celotex insulated, OSB boarded inside ceiling & floor, plasterboard and plastered, log lap on the outside. Plywood boarded flat roof.

Dimensions are 6.5x4.5 metres.

Now, this is not the cheapest thing to do, but I got a price for the felting of the roof. It's been suggested that it should be 3 layer felt, heat gunned on. I'm not averse to this as the workshop is right next to woodland and overhanging trees which have dumped loads of sap and general detritus on the roof. Experience suggests it has to be tough.

But, now to the cost ... £4,500 +VAT. That seems an awful lot for 3 layers of heat gunned felt to me.

Am I wrong?

Cheers

Geoff
Hi Geoff
I built my bespoke workshop 5 years ago. I'll try attaching a couple of pictures of it,(Better at carpentry than I am at IT!) It was a substantial build 4" x 2" frame, concrete floor with underfloor heating etc. I did a lot of research before the build and because I use it every day in my business I wanted something that helped with insulation, was easy to fit and would last a long time. I chose a rubber roof from Rubber4Roofs I believe the company was. There are several YouTube videos where similar projects have used it. It comes with a 50-year guarantee and 5 years in, there's no sign of wear. Hope that helps...
As I thought - I tried to attach some pictures but as usual, when I tried I got a message that a folder wouldn't open. Life is too short to get frustrated over computers. I hope my decision to use rubber helps though. Regards
Terry

Back