Mystery thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone knows what the item is then I would love to know as well.
There are dozens of them tucked away in drawers, cupboards etc in my motorhome. Made of thin steel about 4cm long. Not identifiable by anyone in the motorhome fraternity.
20240410_122135.jpg

Key for releasing car radio? Insert one in each side to release the spring clips that hold the radio in its case.
But why dozens of them?
Brian

A radio fascia release key sounded good. There are two radios in the truck - one in the cab and another in the accommodation. In the years that we have owned the truck we has never switched either on, so had a good look at the both of them and cannot see anywhere that a release key could be inserted. And why have over 20 as Brian said. Currently thinking they may be tensioning keys for the spring in the roller blinds built into the window frames. I took the frames out a while ago to tighten the blind springs. Used a small slotted screwdriver for this but I can't remember now how the mechanism looked.
But no big problem. All I have to do is throw all the things away and then it will suddenly occur what their purpose is and I will be really annoyed that I don't have them anymore.

I think the first two answers are on the right track- they certainly look like many of the latch release tools used in car radios (and quite a few other things as well)
As it is unlikely you have dozens of car radios in your motorhome lol, I would think that they are the ones used for things like some 'soft close drawers' mechanisms I have seen- some have a 'pushbutton' to fully remove the drawer, some have a lever, and some use various tabs very similar to that to remove the drawer slide halves from each other...
Have a good look at drawers, doors closing mechanisms etc- I dare say there will be a 'slot' that fits those tabs for disassembly...
That's my guess...

Identity solved.
Entered accommodation radio make and model into Google and it came back with photos, one of which showed exactly the same fascia release key of which I have 20+ pieces. There are online manuals which are very vague with no info as to where the key should be inserted. But that's ok, we never use the radio anyway so will keep a couple of the keys and bin the rest. And the only question remaining... why so many keys on board??

Identity solved.
Entered accommodation radio make and model into Google and it came back with photos, one of which showed exactly the same fascia release key of which I have 20+ pieces. There are online manuals which are very vague with no info as to where the key should be inserted. But that's ok, we never use the radio anyway so will keep a couple of the keys and bin the rest. And the only question remaining... why so many keys on board??
Maybe the previous owner was a car radio fitter, and he got a set of keys with each radio?

Maybe the previous owner was a car radio fitter, and he got a set of keys with each radio?
Not 100% sure but thought the previous owner was a farmer. In fact that would work in well - NZ farmers are famous/notorious for never throwing anything away and really foster the 'that'll come in handy some day' attitude. Would also explain the 6 empty polypropylene seed bags I found folded and stashed away in the spare wheel compartment.

They look like little flagging paddles the road crew traffic control people use. Paint stop on one side and slow on the other. Hand them out to the flaggers as you go by. It'll make their day. 😉

Pete

Two for each radio and after fitting radios in a few motor homes the auto electrician decided that he didn't need the accumulation that had gathered up in his toolkit/pocket at the end of the day and just left them behind.

Not 100% sure but thought the previous owner was a farmer. In fact that would work in well - NZ farmers are famous/notorious for never throwing anything away and really foster the 'that'll come in handy some day' attitude. Would also explain the 6 empty polypropylene seed bags I found folded and stashed away in the spare wheel compartment.
I am a proud English man, I was a hobby farmer some years ago, I was offered a job in New Zealand circa 1970. I don't throw things out in case it would ever come in handy. I must have New Zealand blood in me. My lovely lady tells me we must discard a lot of our stuff; I tell her I will do it immediately and she keeps reminding me every 6 months.

I am a proud English man, I was a hobby farmer some years ago, I was offered a job in New Zealand circa 1970. I don't throw things out in case it would ever come in handy. I must have New Zealand blood in me. My lovely lady tells me we must discard a lot of our stuff; I tell her I will do it immediately and she keeps reminding me every 6 months.
Yes metoo, Winchester born and bred, That sounds so bloody familiar you know,greetings from Olivella, Barcelona Spain... My wife is part Kiwi Scottish by birth with a fiery red hair and freckles temper, she grew up in NZ in Christchurch but moved back to uk when she was 15 her Dad and family was all RAF, we moved to Spain in 99 should have come to NZ but It was too far from the parents with the kids for her to leave them ,no regrets though, the weather and people here are outstanding.

good luck with the spring clean ( tidy away) 😁 😁 🍻

my 2cents worth... Have a wee box inwhich to keep them and any other similar looking keys/devices... For sure if you dump them then not long afterwards you'll find you need whatever it is you dumped and need it.

There are all manner of "windows security lock keys" about; and invariably one gets a set/pair or more for each window when instaled... Similarly there is a simple "key" used to bypass the restrictor one can invoke which limits how deep up/down a sliding window goes - be the sash pvc or otherwise.

And then there are radiator keys too... No harm to have wee box for all these assorted (keys/mini tools/extractors) and thus have them all in a safe place (remembering of course where that safe place is?

Back