• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Myford Planer Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
OK Understood. If the knives are simple flat and without holes then you can get some to modify to the correct size fairly easily. If they have holes/slots in then you will need to get those cut with a laser or water jet. You might find Doug, from Cutting Solutions who is a member here might be able to help you.
Myford as a company and the name sold to RDG who AFAIK are only interested in providing limited support to the engineering lathes.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
RDG get there stuff mainly from India......
I dont / wont use em any more.....overpriced and poor quality.....
Shame cos they could have done very well in years to come....

Blades for ur planer are easy to get....firstly if u can get one out measure it and look on ebay...
plenty of firms that will make em.....
by this I meanthey just cut it from the approp strip of blade...often a 1m long.....
it's nothing special.....
ur's will be prob clamped with a longish bolt in a blind hole and a lock nut.....very basic.....
and not much diff to todays machines....mines 40cm and just the same....
be interested in ur rebuild.....
please keep the info and photo's going.....

mark_n

Reaction score
No more blades at myford :( Seems like the last set were sold 1st September.

RGIvy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Blades for ur planer are easy to get....firstly if u can get one out measure it and look on ebay...
plenty of firms that will make em.....
by this I meanthey just cut it from the approp strip of blade...often a 1m long.....
it's nothing special.....
Could you recommend a particular company/site to cut blades to size?
I've looked and not that easy to find

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
Hi Mark, struggled a bit as they had changed their name....but here u go....Services.html
the link does work they are called NLS near Enfield, Middx....they do post.....
please let me know how u get on with them....
there was another place just outside Shefield that I used but I cant find em at the mo.....
if u get stuck let me know....
good luck

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
I restored one of these years ago and took pictures. I seem to recall the bearings were held with allen grub screws. may be wrong though. the thicknesser part seems to be missing on the photos.its a machined table on a graduated bar and a bracket that attaches to the infeed table. and a spring to hold the wood to the table. primitive but effective. surprisingly well made item

Phill05

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting reading about this planer again I have the same model under the bench I had forgot about been there quite a few years after it took off the tip of my middle finger.

Phill

Trilogy82

Reaction score
I picked one of these up a few years ago in fairly good condition aside from the blades. (Looks like they came into contact with a nail or two on their time) Replacements we’re available on a certain auction site but tbh I struggled to justify the €80 price tag at the time. I’d be interested to hear how you get on RGIvy with NLS. If they can come up with a set for fair money I’d be interested too.

On a related note, when I picked the planer up the guy selling it handed me a folder with a pile of original documentation - original sales brochure, pricelists, original sales order, exploded parts diagram, manual and a letter from Myford to the dealer from 1963. Nice to have! If anyone needs any one these let me know and I can scan them.

Attachments

Last edited:

kevinbrown

Reaction score
I picked one of these up a few years ago in fairly good condition aside from the blades. (Looks like they came into contact with a nail or two on their time) Replacements we’re available on a certain auction site but tbh I struggled to justify the €80 price tag at the time. I’d be interested to hear how you get on RGIvy with NLS. If they can come up with a set for fair money I’d be interested too.

On a related note, when I picked the planer up the guy selling it handed me a folder with a pile of original documentation - original sales brochure, pricelists, original sales order, exploded parts diagram, manual and a letter from Myford to the dealer from 1963. Nice to have! If anyone needs any one these let me know and I can scan them.
please could i have a scanned copy of the p11 planer documaents or manuals