Myford Planer Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I bought this dinky Myford planer from eBay last week for £50 with the intention of restoring it.

Myford Planer - eBay Listing 1.jpg

Myford Planer - eBay Listing 2.jpg

I've since begun derusting the machine electrolytically.

One little question: how do I remove the cutter block?

Here's some pictures:

Myford Planer 1.jpg

Myford Planer 2.jpg

Myford Planer 3.jpg

I assume the steel components at either end of the arbor are flange bearings?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• Myford Planer - eBay Listing 1.jpg
    Myford Planer - eBay Listing 1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Myford Planer - eBay Listing 2.jpg
    Myford Planer - eBay Listing 2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Myford Planer 1.jpg
    Myford Planer 1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • Myford Planer 2.jpg
    Myford Planer 2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Myford Planer 3.jpg
    Myford Planer 3.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,054
I'd assume the shaft has to be pressed out. It clearly has been out fairly recently as it has a modern cogged type belt fitted

I don't know anything about these planers, I did find a post (2007) that advised someone to e mail myford direct, or 'phone. Myford sent him an instruction sheet.
Apparently myford changed hands in 2012, but it may still be worth a try.
http://www.myford.co.uk/
HTH Regards Rodders

blackrodd":2og11pak said:
I don't know anything about these planers, I did find a post (2007) that advised someone to e mail myford direct, or 'phone. Myford sent him an instruction sheet.
Apparently myford changed hands in 2012, but it may still be worth a try.
http://www.myford.co.uk/
HTH Regards Rodders

Sadly, the folk who took over the Myford name haven't got any interest in their woodworking stuff, so wouldn't hold out much hope in that direction.

I found this,"Data sheet and manual for the ML8 WOODLATHE and the MYFORD PLANER AND ATTACHMENTS. https://store.lathes.co.uk/print/mm539
Looks like it may be of some use, except for the price, Have a butchers.
HTH Regards Rodders

PS Dickm, thanks for the post, I did wonder as it all seems to be about Lathes.
Rodders

Hi chaps,

Dick - I didn't know Myford were still around... though I suppose it doesn't matter now if they're only interested in their metalworking lathes.

Blackrodd - Thanks for the link. I came across this page on the site which looks promising: Operators Manual, Maintenance Manual, Parts Manual and Catalog for a Myford planer. I'll call them tomorrow to confirm.

Bob - I don't have a press myself; though a mechanic who I've used more times than I'd like fixing my last van may own one. Otherwise I wonder if I can knock something up?

Thanks,
Mark

I was watching that, it'll be a nice machine when you've got it sorted.

I think I know someone who has an 80 ton press. You've got to be sure what needs pressing where though because it doesn't ask questions.

I feel that the last thing you need are hefty presses. You need gentle pressure tried between various points to see what happens. Excess pressure is likely to break something and there are no replacement parts for these machines!! Improvised pressing devices are ideal for this sort of job.

A selection of rings such as old bearings, maybe big nuts and short pushers such as old bolts (they may well get damaged in the process).

No hammers EVER maybe a rubber mallet but keep an eye open for which part of the machine is taking the reaction of your blows. Castings rarely bend, they just snap!
Proceed with care, if something is not working stop and think why rather than apply more force.
Good luck

Myfordman":3f3xcaui said:
I feel that the last thing you need are hefty presses. You need gentle pressure tried between various points to see what happens. Excess pressure is likely to break something and there are no replacement parts for these machines!! Improvised pressing devices are ideal for this sort of job.

A selection of rings such as old bearings, maybe big nuts and short pushers such as old bolts (they may well get damaged in the process).

No hammers EVER maybe a rubber mallet but keep an eye open for which part of the machine is taking the reaction of your blows. Castings rarely bend, they just snap!
Proceed with care, if something is not working stop and think why rather than apply more force.
Good luck

Hi Bob,

This morning I attempted to knock through the shaft with a dead blow hammer and a short bit of pine dowel. It wouldn't budge.

I didn't want to use more force, so what do you suggest?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark A":bqa6vg85 said:
Dick - I didn't know Myford were still around... though I suppose it doesn't matter now if they're only interested in their metalworking lathes.
Just around the corner from where I work. I see (one of) their van(s) quiet often. Same site as RDG Tools which makes me think they are related.

mseries":3dw0xnkb said:
Just around the corner from where I work. I see (one of) their van(s) quiet often. Same site as RDG Tools which makes me think they are related.

They are one and the same. RDG bought the name and the remaining stock from Beeston and are making/having made, some of the stuff that the Beeston firm used to make. From reading around, it sounds like RDG have outsourced most of the manufacturing, with variable results.
When they first bought the name, they were very heavy handed in trying to stop anyone advertising stuff on a certain auction site using the Myford name, even if it was genuine, secondhand stuff. Think they've now seen sense, but they still seem to be regarded with considerable suspicion by old-school Myfordians.
Good luck with the planer. Always nice to see old British engineering being brought back to life.

Mark A":2uq2kmgg said:
Myfordman":2uq2kmgg said:

Good luck

Hi Bob,

This morning I attempted to knock through the shaft with a dead blow hammer and a short bit of pine dowel. It wouldn't budge.

I didn't want to use more force, so what do you suggest?

Cheers,
Mark

I'd expect something to be holding the shaft in which need removing/releasing first.

I expect the manual to have diagrams which show every single part- certainly if they are as detailed as the ones for their engineering lathes they will.

Hi,
I have this planer (Myford Pr11) and can shed some light if you still need it. I'm after a few pointers myself if you have any further info.
Peter

Mark A":56g01wc3 said:
Hi chaps,

I bought this dinky Myford planer from eBay last week for £50 with the intention of restoring it.

I've since begun derusting the machine electrolytically.

One little question: how do I remove the cutter block?

Here's some pictures:

I assume the steel components at either end of the arbor are flange bearings?

Thanks,
Mark

Do you still have this planer?
I have one too. I may be able to help and maybe you could help me a little?
Regards,
Peter

I have a 'pictorial view showing construction and part numbers' if that is of help.
I have just acquired a what I believe to be a PR11 and would be most grateful for any literature, manual parts lists or directions to information other than lathes. Co. UK, thanks Mike

I've also just bought one of these planers to restore. Haven't even got as far as taking pics!
All I've done so far is to feel the blades, I have one totally sharp and the other totally blunt - obviously not set correctly.
Can anyone point me to where I can get new blades?
thanks
Rog

Why not just get them sharpened. Your local saw doctor should be able to do this or there are several postal services.
I use Sawtech in Eastleigh

Back