Myford Planer Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Understood. If the knives are simple flat and without holes then you can get some to modify to the correct size fairly easily. If they have holes/slots in then you will need to get those cut with a laser or water jet. You might find Doug, from Cutting Solutions who is a member here might be able to help you.
Myford as a company and the name sold to RDG who AFAIK are only interested in providing limited support to the engineering lathes.

RDG get there stuff mainly from India......
I dont / wont use em any more.....overpriced and poor quality.....
Shame cos they could have done very well in years to come....

Blades for ur planer are easy to get....firstly if u can get one out measure it and look on ebay...
plenty of firms that will make em.....
by this I meanthey just cut it from the approp strip of blade...often a 1m long.....
it's nothing special.....
ur's will be prob clamped with a longish bolt in a blind hole and a lock nut.....very basic.....
and not much diff to todays machines....mines 40cm and just the same....
be interested in ur rebuild.....
please keep the info and photo's going.....

Blades for ur planer are easy to get....firstly if u can get one out measure it and look on ebay...
plenty of firms that will make em.....
by this I meanthey just cut it from the approp strip of blade...often a 1m long.....
it's nothing special.....

Could you recommend a particular company/site to cut blades to size?
I've looked and not that easy to find

Myford PR11 Manual

Attachments

• Myford PR11 Text.pdf
    659.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Myford PR11 Image.pdf
    733.2 KB · Views: 73
Hi Mark, struggled a bit as they had changed their name....but here u go....Services.html
the link does work they are called NLS near Enfield, Middx....they do post.....
please let me know how u get on with them....
there was another place just outside Shefield that I used but I cant find em at the mo.....
if u get stuck let me know....
good luck

I restored one of these years ago and took pictures. I seem to recall the bearings were held with allen grub screws. may be wrong though. the thicknesser part seems to be missing on the photos.its a machined table on a graduated bar and a bracket that attaches to the infeed table. and a spring to hold the wood to the table. primitive but effective. surprisingly well made item

Interesting reading about this planer again I have the same model under the bench I had forgot about been there quite a few years after it took off the tip of my middle finger.

Phill

I picked one of these up a few years ago in fairly good condition aside from the blades. (Looks like they came into contact with a nail or two on their time) Replacements we’re available on a certain auction site but tbh I struggled to justify the €80 price tag at the time. I’d be interested to hear how you get on RGIvy with NLS. If they can come up with a set for fair money I’d be interested too.

On a related note, when I picked the planer up the guy selling it handed me a folder with a pile of original documentation - original sales brochure, pricelists, original sales order, exploded parts diagram, manual and a letter from Myford to the dealer from 1963. Nice to have! If anyone needs any one these let me know and I can scan them.

Attachments

• 3590C156-0ED8-47F2-89D3-6CC92208B971.jpeg
    3590C156-0ED8-47F2-89D3-6CC92208B971.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 49
  • B993E4E5-632B-4C88-958D-257C2A13876E.jpeg
    B993E4E5-632B-4C88-958D-257C2A13876E.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I picked one of these up a few years ago in fairly good condition aside from the blades. (Looks like they came into contact with a nail or two on their time) Replacements we’re available on a certain auction site but tbh I struggled to justify the €80 price tag at the time. I’d be interested to hear how you get on RGIvy with NLS. If they can come up with a set for fair money I’d be interested too.

On a related note, when I picked the planer up the guy selling it handed me a folder with a pile of original documentation - original sales brochure, pricelists, original sales order, exploded parts diagram, manual and a letter from Myford to the dealer from 1963. Nice to have! If anyone needs any one these let me know and I can scan them.
please could i have a scanned copy of the p11 planer documaents or manuals

Hi, just dug my planer out the workshop would it be possible to ask for a copy of the parts sheet please.
Got a lot of cleaning to do on it been sat quite a few years.

Would it be possible for me to get a scanned copy of those at all please. I am just downsizing to a PR11 and would really like to know as much as possible about the machine before I start.

unless you need to replace the belt or bearings why bother taking the shaft out. The blades can be reground easy enough and reset carefully.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to buy a PR 11 planer this week, complete with thicknesser and the all important spring! I think they are super little machines, very solid and well built. Doing smaller projects these days i'm hoping it will be a perfect companion to my 1930's saw table, again cast iron, solid and well constructed.
Yesterday afternoon I took the bearings out to clean and grease. Not brilliant engineering practice I know but the method worked.
First I removed the two grub screws. There was enough room for sideways movement of the cutter block to use a peice of wood and tap it sideways. That pushed one of the bearings out by about 5mm, enough to grab with a pipe wrench and wiggle it all the way out. With one taken out I could put a peice of wood into the hole and knock the other one out by 5mm and repeat the "grip and Wriggle".
Maybe I was just lucky and they had not been rusting in for too many years but it worked for me. Hope it may be an idea for somebody else to try.

IMG_20210926_121605607.jpgIMG_20210926_121446415.jpg

Back