My first turnings on my "new" lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the kind comments.
The flag is all wrong its a French courtesy flag,that a British boat would fly whilst in France,the correct flag is the Red Ensign.The staff looked a little bare without something on it,the flag is not my work,that needle flying up and down looks dangerous.Better something revolving at speed!

Good job there well done the pens look good, admitting depression well done to you, I hope you lathe work helps you through all the dark days. I’m going to say something now and I hope you understand it’s about the black dog you are learning something new I hope this helps you teach the black dog some new trick as well so you control it not it controlling you.

My story is a little different I love using the lathe best tool in the shop though I can no longer safely use it as I have Genralised Dystonia had it for about 15 years but got to a stage where a lathe is to dangerous to use so now I have just taken up power carving. There is always something new to do so keep fighting.

Spasm

=D> =D> =D>

to you.

spasm":1ggqqdd8 said:
Good job there well done the pens look good, admitting depression well done to you, I hope you lathe work helps you through all the dark days. I’m going to say something now and I hope you understand it’s about the black dog you are learning something new I hope this helps you teach the black dog some new trick as well so you control it not it controlling you.

My story is a little different I love using the lathe best tool in the shop though I can no longer safely use it as I have Genralised Dystonia had it for about 15 years but got to a stage where a lathe is to dangerous to use so now I have just taken up power carving. There is always something new to do so keep fighting.

Spasm

=D> =D> =D>

to you.
I have only recently started to come out of a very low time in my life, the prospect of not being able to work at a job that I have loved since I was 16 years old had me in a very dark place indeed.
If it wasn't for my wife and a wonderful councillor that allowed me to see past the dark times then I wouldn't be where I am now. My wife has always been a crafter and used her hands to create, it was she who set me up with the lathe and got me started and my councillor who taught me to see it as a "job"....go out to the shed and work for an hour and stop looking at the past and wishing for something you are not going to get back.

It is good that you have found a new tool to progress with your hobby, I can also see how you must miss using your lathe though.

I have had my wife write my words for me, I am still no good at expressing my feelings to others. when I try to put my feelings to paper I hit a wall. Yet I can tell the wife what I am trying to tell you and she knows exactly how to word it.

I admire your courage and your honesty,in trying to tell us how youu feel and about depression.I can also understand how an a job or opportunity lost can cause the feelings and pain you feel.I have held my head in my hands a few times,but never to the extent that you describe.I know it not a bloke thing,we can never talk about or understand our feelings.
I am sure you have somehow turned a corner,keep going in the shed,and keep posting what you achieve on here,
I am sure the typing will come,if it was easy for you we could meet up and share car tales,because an important part of work was the mates you made there and the banter you shared.
Take Care Sean

Thank you for your very kind message Sean, I would very much like to take you up on meeting some time.

If you pm me your number i;m sure we could arrange something.

Ian.

Back