Free Myford ML8 Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave finally managed to get out to the shed (in the snow) to measure the bed.
Total length of tube is 59" or 1498mm ish
Top slot is 47" or 1190mm

Looking at the original brochure the distance between centres is 17" less than total bed length.
So 59-17 is 42" meaning my bed is a ML8C

I was thinking about adding wheels to the bottom so I can wheel it into the sun. Does the sand stop the vibrations then?
Hi Dale,
yes the sand absorbs vibrations and if you are putting it on wheels you might want a box near the bottom to dampen movement as well. I think I made mine about 3” deep, filled it with dry sand and put a lid on it. I suggest adjustable feet to take the weight off the wheels so it doesn’t move for safety when using. Don’t want a gouge through your hands or anything else. The ML8 is a nice lathe, only restriction is and 8” swing over the bed but of course you can turn bowls on the outboard. I’m a left handed turner until I turn bowls inboard but like most left handed people we are weird and not fully left sided. I made my bench out of 4” x 2”’s for the legs and old packing cases for the top.
regards,
Dave.
ps can I have some of your sun? I’m on Stonydelph and we haven’t got any.

Last edited:
Hi Dale,
yes the sand absorbs vibrations and if you are putting it on wheels you might want a box near the bottom to dampen movement as well. I think I made mine about 3” deep, filled it with dry sand and put a lid on it. I suggest adjustable feet to take the weight off the wheels so it doesn’t move for safety when using. Don’t want a gouge through your hands or anything else. The ML8 is a nice lathe, only restriction is and 8” swing over the bed but of course you can turn bowls on the outboard. I’m a left handed turner until I turn bowls inboard but like most left handed people we are weird and not fully left sided. I made my bench out of 4” x 2”’s for the legs and old packing cases for the top.
regards,
Dave.
ps can I have some of your sun? I’m on Stonydelph and we haven’t got any.
Thanks for the advice on the "sand box" lol.
I had considered adjustable feet anyway, because of the moving, but it's a bit complicated it seems.
I also need to check that it will go through the gap I want it to, didn't think about the fact I moved it in peace's and want to move 4ft+ flat.

Grandad and dad were lefties so I do well, originally learned golf left handed.

Only down the road in leyfields, get lots of sun but can't be that different

Paint arrived today!! Woohoo!!

Whilst cleaning everything ready for painting I noticed that one of the feet still has its original factory base coat.
Decided I'm not painting the under sides and will leave it for nostalgia.
20230314_130834.jpg

First lot of parts got their "forth Bridge" primer layer...
20230314_142059.jpg

Back