• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Myford Super 7 metal working lathe - SOLD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
For sale, used Myford Super 7 lathe, stand and numerous accessories and tooling

This lathe originally belonged to my friends father. Bought by me when he passed away with the intention to learn how to use and make small parts for my woodworking projects. it However I have never got round to it and am unlikely to do so any time soon so would like the space back and recoup the money. Has been stored since I bought it in my clean dry workshop.

As can be seen the lathe is in good condition and has been looked after. Stand also in good condition. The motor is a well renowned Brook Crompton. The motor was removed for transport to reduce the weight as even with it removed it is very heavy. All parts required to reattach are present which is fairly quick though slightly awkward job due to weight. Motor can still be seen running both forward and in reverse while unattached. I would recommend it stays unattached for transport. Motor is single phase 240v and runs off a standard UK 3 pin 13 amp plug.

There are numerous ancillary bits included in the sale. Some of the accessaries appear to be unused. Included as per photos are

Cutters
Face plate
K72 series chuck
HV-6 rotary table (appears unused)
Cross slide table
Capilers and other measuring tools
Dial gauge on magnetic stand
Spare gears
Vertical milling attachment
Numerous drill bits and other small bits of tooling
Original manual

I am not an expert so please check photos to ensure these descriptions are correct. These accessories would have cost £thousands originally and are all included in the sale.

The main lathe itself is very heavy but will fit in the boot of most cars I would think. I can help load but still heavy even for 2 fit healthy people, feel free to bring a strong friend. Could also wheel it on its stand straight up a ramp into the back of a transit, which would be better, in which case I'll donate the castors!

Happy for you to inspect it before committing to buy. Item located in Abinger Hammer, Surrey (between Guildford and Dorking). Collection only, no couriers, I wouldn’t trust them with it. Sold as seen, no returns.

Looking for £1450

Mark
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG

I have a bigger metal lathe and I am too far away but even with the one I have if I was closer I'd pop for yours too. Looks clean for the most part and good value.

Pete

There's one on the model engineering forum atm for 4.4k so that is very cheap, wish I was closer and had space

Thanks for the kind words. I have looked at ebay etc, and to be honest I'm not sure people always get what they think their machines are worth. Its also difficult to compare due to all the possible variations and different tooling and accessories. I've tried to be fair and put it at a price to sell, which hopefully it will do and all the tooling will make it more attractive. If it is a bargain, someone please come and snap my hand off !!!

Tris, what is the forum you refer to as it might be better advertised on an engineering forum rather than a woodworking one.

regards all

Mark

I would recommend selling it on ebay if nobody here responds. Invite offers over £1200 so that you don't have to commit yourself. You've done the donkey work; an excellent set of photos and a good set of words. Living in Surrey you've got a large population on your doorstep. I'm sure it would sell easily. Let potential buyers find you rather you searching for a buyer. Let the buyer organise transport at their risk.
Brian

As others have said, that looks to be a super machine and well worth what you are asking.
Just a couple of thoughts - would it be worth trying to sell the rotary table separately, and investing some of what you get for it in a decent 3-jaw chuck? Might make a more attractive package for a beginner.
The other thing you might need to explain to any potential buyer is why the belt cover is from a later, green machine. It's probably perfectly reasonable, but some suspicious minded folk might think it betokens some sort of accident which could affect the accuracy of the machine.
Certainly look at homeworkshop.com. That's where the serious buyers and sellers for this sort of machine will congregate!

Thanks for the kind words. I have looked at ebay etc, and to be honest I'm not sure people always get what they think their machines are worth. Its also difficult to compare due to all the possible variations and different tooling and accessories. I've tried to be fair and put it at a price to sell, which hopefully it will do and all the tooling will make it more attractive. If it is a bargain, someone please come and snap my hand off !!!

Tris, what is the forum you refer to as it might be better advertised on an engineering forum rather than a woodworking one.

regards all

Mark
The site linked to by Yojevol above is where I saw the one mentioned. Homeworkshop address is
https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Stick that on Homeworkshop.org at that price & you will be trampled in the rush! Definately the best place to sell it,

Lovely machine, I wish I could buy it.
Now I have been alerted to homework shop.org.uk I might be going down a rabbit hole !!

Just noticed that lurking in a plastic sleeve among the bits and pieces is what looks like a Ridgeway expanding wood bit. You might like to separate that out.

Dick, I did see that and thought it was a wood bit but to be honest I wasn't sure. I think it need to go in a brace, which I don't own. There were a couple of other bits mixed in which I had already pulled out that definitely didn't belong in there. Theres still plenty in there that I don't recognise, hopefully a new owner will

mark

Don't worry if space is tight in your workshop, that is a beautiful piece of engineering and would not look out of place indoors in say the spare bedroom. That is a very low price for something so clean and with so many extra's .

Back