Mrs moose's first bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent much of the afternoon teach mrs moose to turn, and this is her first result.

DSCF0201lr.jpg

DSCF0198lr.jpg

she would like constructive criticism please

(btw we are aware of the sanding lines , they show up worse in the picture than in reality, but they resulted from my having run out of foam backed pads for the drill arbor so her havbing to sand by hand only - when my axminster order arrives we can always put it back on the lathe for a bit of power sanding)

A good practical use piece, well done Mrs M. =D> =D> you were certainly treated to a baptism of fire with that piece of wood, do you know someone who can get you some easier wood to play with next time. :p

CHJ":4dq2rr9d said:
A good practical use piece, well done Mrs M. =D> =D> you were certainly treated to a baptism of fire with that piece of wood, do you know someone who can get you some easier wood to play with next time. :p

lol - she didnt want to use any of my expensive peices so insisted on using a piece from the offcut box (that particular bit cost me 80p at yandles iirc )

what do you reckon it is wood wise - I think its probably ash but i'm not sure

big soft moose":20ce9zky said:
what do you reckon it is wood wise - I think its probably ash but i'm not sure

from yandles most likely Ash, but it's very similar to some Exeter Elm I've had.

A bit of competition in the Moose household there methinks and you went through it all without arguing :shock: :shock:
Steve

A lot better than my first bowl that's for sure. It looks like elm to me which isn't the easiest wood to turn either. I wonder what you are going to want for Christmas? :lol:

Pete

Great first bowl - very cool; his and her's lathes now?

If you want some critique I'd look to the base of the bowl, maybe a slightly smaller diameter foot and not so high with a steeper angle into it but really just being picky.

She's ready for the good wood I think mate - maybe you can now have some more wood to make up for all the wood she's going to get through? :)

Miles

miles_hot":21t5n2l1 said:
If you want some critique I'd look to the base of the bowl, maybe a slightly smaller diameter foot and not so high with a steeper angle into it but really just being picky.

I think you are probably right that "foot" is in fact a chucking spiggot - the original plan was to turn it away , but after turning we realised that the diameter of the bowl was too small for my cole jaws to hold so Sarah blended it in and left it on

miles_hot":3ozwqn5q said:
maybe you can now have some more wood to make up for all the wood she's going to get through? :)

aparently "thats a ridiculous idea - has he seen how much wood you already have ???" :lol: - I didnt like to tell her that you've got nearly three times as much... or for that matter mention the wood ive stashed at work :whistle:

that said she did say that once I/we have used up some of the wood I have I can restock..... and theres gales due later this week :lol: ;)

Nice safe bowl to start with,and nicely turned :D
I'd worry about the finish when you are more confident with what you are doing with the tools,but as said can be put back on and re-finished.Well done.

big soft moose":vkzlcf5o said:
miles_hot":vkzlcf5o said:
maybe you can now have some more wood to make up for all the wood she's going to get through? :)

aparently "thats a ridiculous idea - has he seen how much wood you already have ???" :lol: - I didnt like to tell her that you've got nearly three times as much... or for that matter mention the wood ive stashed at work :whistle:

that said she did say that once I/we have used up some of the wood I have I can restock..... and theres gales due later this week :lol: ;)

True - might have to turn some of "mine" away to make some space :)

Phot has come on fine this morning on my work computer ... amystery.

Good bowl and like the outside grain and colour

There's no turning back now -with two together on the slope does that increase the speed expotentially??? It will be your own indiustrial workshop next ...

regards

Colin

very good indeed.

I bet you Mrs BigSoftMoose has the bug now. Keep them coming.

Back