Moving 18mm sheets without killing myself

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also this technique, does make it easier to handle, of course it doesn't make it any lighter, but bearing the weight better is half the battle

Do you have a bicycle?

Place the sheet on the pedal and the front end against the handle bar (with a tea towel / pipe lagging to protect handle bars / ply and walk.

I did it many a time as a student repairing a sailing yacht!

Cheers James

On reflection, I think I want to try and DIY one of these.

https://ctpowertools.com/product/panel-express-dolly/
Any ideas on how to replicate the brace mechanism?

A hinge and a clamp. It really is as simple as it sounds. I fitted a fire door for a near neighbour, I knew it would be hard to carry it 300 metres alone, so two wheels, a bolt and two pieces of scrap clamped to the corner worked just fine. It’s actually still in the garage just in case despite it being a one-time fix

also this technique, does make it easier to handle, of course it doesn't make it any lighter, but bearing the weight better is half the battle

I do this if I don't have help as I've got to go 30m across garden. Need to make me an off road powered dolly!

Though I have a probable job lined up where I'll order from a different place that will cut it down to a cut list rather than me trying to do it all. Much easier to handle.

I brought 4 sack truck wheels for £20 for kids go cart.

Shouldn't be hard to cobble a trolley together.

Make into a garden truck once your done.

Much more useful than a wheel barrow.

Cheers James

Is a body strap type thing worth a look into you know the ones where two people move a heavy large item.

Failing that I've got a plastic sheet moving handle thing that hooks to the bottom but it's rubbish as it digs into the board a little bit. The ones that pinch from the top look better. But you still have the weight of it.

If you can afford a crate of 18mm birch plywood just to make cabinets you can afford local labour to help out. Get a grip!

I feel your pain - literally.

It’s something I’m constantly trying to work out a better way of achieving after I had a couple of operations on my neck 18 months ago requiring nearly 90 stitches, leaving me weaker that side and resulting in difficulty lifting heavy objects, particularly if they’re an awkward shape.

Our local supplier will help me into the hallway but because of Covid restrictions he’s not allowed further. That might change and the biscuits will be on standby!

Even if he could, it’s then a number of tight turns through the house, up a number of steps through the back garden (no rear access) and a distance of around 60m.

I’ve used the plastic grippers that go both under the board and grab from the top. Both work in their own fashion but the former can damage the edge and both still knacker my neck.

I’ve made a couple of versions of the dolly and they work for a bit but don’t help with tight turns in narrow areas or steps.

I’m considering asking the suppliers to make most of my larger cuts for me to at least make them easier to handle but it’s not ideal and I don’t want to rely on that method through past experiences with inaccuracies and damage.

During the summer months or non rainy days (ha ha!) I can at least make cuts with the track saw on the drive to break them down.

It’s not the biggest issue the world is facing, but given what we do, it’s all about making things easier for ourselves and working safely and for longer with minimal impact on health.

I hope you find the Holy Grail of solutions as if you do, I’m nicking it for my own use 👍😉.

At the very least get hold of a sheet / plaster board lifter. The Roughneck plastic one will do the job and is usually under a tenner. There are going to be times where you need to move sheets without the ability to dolly it. Makes a difference in that circumstance at least.
I used one when lining the wall of my house. Even using this I found it a strain on my shoulders and back. I was working alone so has little choice. The added problem was the plasterboard was quite fragile and I did damage a few getting them through doorways.

This YouTube video is useful for showing how to easily get the ply sheet onto the bench. He has a purpose built hook attached to the bench. From minute 1.43 shows it.

I used one when lining the wall of my house. Even using this I found it a strain on my shoulders and back. I was working alone so has little choice. The added problem was the plasterboard was quite fragile and I did damage a few getting them through doorways.
It's always going to be a strain if you are still lifting without mechanised assistance but anything that gives an advantage is better than none. Also plasterboard is always going to be fragile if the edges get caught anyhow.

There are other lifters and variants of the cheap plastic ones as well. It's just finding what works for you, that center of balance and sufficient room to work / move within.

I had 40 sheets of plasterboard to shift fifty feet from delivery to worksite last year. It was over rough ground and unmade pathways.
I purchased this carrier, and found it incredibly easy to lift from flat, carry and stack all the sheets in an hour. The boards were acoustic plasterboard and fireline, so twice as heavy per sheet than normal boards.
I still use it now when shifting any sheet goods over half a sheet.
37FB13D2-58C4-41FF-98CE-D2AFFF457235.jpeg

Back