Moving 18mm sheets without killing myself

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just keep lifting them, you will get used to it
There was a bloke at the timber yard who would lift them about 2 at a time !!

Ollie

Last edited:
Ask you vendor to deliver on a smaller vehicle, most Merchants that deal with the general public realize that access for larger lorries will not be possible in many cases and if asked before hand or when placing the order they will try to accommodate you.:) . Many drivers will help if asked and the offer of a cuppa and chocky biccy can work wonders ;)
Would take more than a chocolate caramel hobnob to entice me to move 30 sheets :ROFLMAO:

I had two sheets of 18mm birch ply delivered and the guy insisted on getting them out of the back of his van and carrying them into the back garden. He made it look effortless and he must have been in his late 40s. I then moved them into the house (workshop was too damp) and it nearly killed me. Today I bought a sheet of 18mm MRMDF and moved it off my trailer into the shop with lots of stops, arm shaking and gasping. Getting old sucks 🥵

that makes sense, I've seen sheds picked up and moved by maybe 6 people so I had in mind that you were moving it in one piece
Me too. DOH! So the handles of the sack barrow are on the ground? Do they not snag?

Me too. DOH! So the handles of the sack barrow are on the ground? Do they not snag?

Sorry I think I should have explained things better but I have moved sheet goods, fence panels and a shed this way for so long I thought that showing the idea would be enough for others to see it works.
As can be seen from my photo my sack barrow is not a heavy duty one but is of the type with a p shape handle and when laid on it's back the wheels are set back from the bottom enough that when a sheet is placed on it the barrow pivots on the axel and the body of the sack barrow lifts off the ground.
I think I have a photo of moving the sections of the shed and if I can find it I will post it.

For reasons I think you will all understand my wife was more interested in taking a photo of her gorgeous husband than the side of a shed on a sack barrow but it does show what you can do.
The cargo strap was put on to keep the side of the very heavy shed upright over rough ground but is not needed with an 8x4 sheet.

IMAGE_162.jpg

I've spent too many years loading a panel saw with 18mm mdf - my workshop had a sheet storage rack that held about 50 full sheets and it was only 6 metres from the saw.

Back then I had a forklift so unloading deliveries was easy.

Back