Mortise and Tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreagleeyes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Am looking at getting a Mortising machine and whilst I had settled on this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-MS3840-Tilt-Head-Floor-Standing-Morticer-649842.htm
4362090039_3b4438e158_o.png

This has also come to my attention
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Leigh-FMT-Mortice-and-Tenon-Jig-33054.htm
4362833172_4373480a87_o.png

I have the Festool 1400 and just wondered what your views on these two machines are.
And ultimately which one I should get.
Space is fairly limited in my Workshop and having a work bench machine seems more practical.

Don't know anything about the Leigh, but I have a very similar morticer to the Axi one for sale.
PM if interested.

Personally, I'd buy the Leigh, no question. Much more versatile and compact. How often will you be making M&T's, bearing in mind you own a domino?

wizer":1xonanpp said:
Personally, I'd buy the Leigh, no question. Much more versatile and compact. How often will you be making M&T's, bearing in mind you own a domino?

My current project is dictating a need for a morticer. And I'm looking to use it in the future making a signature piece, a full garden range with sofas, tables, canopy and planters.
I like how easy it was to make the workbench and this has huge through tenons that I'm using in most of my designs now.
The Domino is great for the seating part of the sofa but I will need something a little beefier for the large timbers and I like the effect of some nice Ebony wedges.

I think my mind is made up. The Leigh it is.

Just out of curiosity, how does the FMT make a maximum joint size 1/2" x 5" with, say, 6 foot lengths of timber? (I'm assuming that it implies a mortice and tennon joint).

trousers":2he1yspj said:
Just out of curiosity, how does the FMT make a maximum joint size 1/2" x 5" with, say, 6 foot lengths of timber? (I'm assuming that it implies a mortice and tennon joint).

I was wondering about this. If I have you correct here, what your saying is how would I go about putting a Tenon on a piece of timber 3 Meters in length.
I was wondering if I would have to get myself and the machine 3 meters in the air or would I be able to angle the machine at bench height.
Is that what you meant?. If not then could someone answer my question please?.

How you get 6" under the jig? In the leigh manual for the dovetail jigs it says you have to make a big box to put on your bench to get the jig to height and a set of steps so you can work the router. Seemed fair enough.

Chems":3euhsk4a said:
How you get 6" under the jig? In the leigh manual for the dovetail jigs it says you have to make a big box to put on your bench to get the jig to height and a set of steps so you can work the router. Seemed fair enough.

Your joking!? Right?.

Chems":ifbwt100 said:
No I'll take a picture . . . . . .

I could make a mounting system for the Leigh to sit at a Horizontal angle, surely your joking?!.
This is a big deciding factor in if I get the Leigh or the tilt head machine from Axminster?.

Bloody photobucket is playing up. But here it is:

DSC00707.JPG

Its not so bad but you wouldn't be able to do it horizontally.

yes this is the FMT's (and woodrat) main disadvantage. You are limited on timber length. What Chems posted can be perfectly safe and I don't think you'd be doing it often. If you think you will be, then it's morticer and bandsaw.

That is one HUGE picture. So if I make my Daybed using this technique I will have to make something that is over 2500mm of the ground?.
The first thing that entered my head was a set of Steps but then I saw the words on your picture.

In Bold big angry words was written.
"Do not use a set of steps. Steps are not stable enough.

No room for a big 5 stepped thingy so what else can I do?.

What is this WoodRat you guys are talking about?.

Definitely the mortice machine, the Leigh is a toy. And you have a domino that'll do the little stuff.

Chris J":28ukg8z1 said:
Try here.
http://woodrat.com
Could you use a leigh jig on it's side ?

My only problem with this is that if I let the Router come away from the piece at just a small angle then it will be multiplied at the cutting face.
The support brackets for the timber would not be a problem.

Latest posts

Back