Mortise and Tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":28fz22em said:
Right, for that, mortising machine for the mortices.

For the tenons, the UTTJ would be my choice. Especially as it's chunky, the max 1/2" of the Leigh is going to a bit limiting. One of the advantages of the UTTJ is that twin M&Ts are as straightforward as standard ones. Very strong, look terrific.

The only problem would be if the rails are so long that upright on a tablesaw become unwieldy. But otherwise, easy peasy.

:)
S

Is this the package I'm after, you seem to have loads out there.
4367084097_34c374b87b_o.png

Thanks

Well that little lot will certainly give you all you need. The router tenon jigs are on WE1, the UTTJ on WE3. There are a couple of mortising jigs on WE2, but for your application a dedicated mortiser would be a better solution. WE 4 & 5 will give you everything you need to know about the bandsaw. There are no jigs which are specifically for tenons (you really need only a spacer), although you'll probably find the adjustable stop useful. For the 5deg tenons you can build a simple 5 deg cradle that runs against the rip fence.

Lots of options.

So yes, work your way through that lot and, one way or another, you'll definitely have a solution. Or your money back.

S

wizer":2pdmyaja said:
Mike.C":2pdmyaja said:
That's the one woof, Aragorn

I knew the thread you were talking about and I knew it began with A, but alls I could think of was Argee or Aldel :roll: :wink:

There you go Tom between us we had two of the "A's" :lol:

Its a shame that the pictures are missing because it really was an inspirational kitchen, and although it was Aragorn's skill that built it, it was still a good advert for the Leigh.

Cheers

Mike

Steve Maskery":1v6pgp19 said:
Well that little lot will certainly give you all you need. The router tenon jigs are on WE1, the UTTJ on WE3. There are a couple of mortising jigs on WE2, but for your application a dedicated mortiser would be a better solution. WE 4 & 5 will give you everything you need to know about the bandsaw. There are no jigs which are specifically for tenons (you really need only a spacer), although you'll probably find the adjustable stop useful. For the 5deg tenons you can build a simple 5 deg cradle that runs against the rip fence.

Lots of options.

So yes, work your way through that lot and, one way or another, you'll definitely have a solution. Or your money back.

S

Thanks Steve. I'll get those ordered over the weekend.

I'm going to buy a bench mounted Morticer to make the mortices and make a 5 degree base plate for the timber to sit on against the fence.
I'm thinking that due to the lack of a bandsaw or table saw that I will use my Festool circular saw to cut the large tenons, these need to be on an angle of 85 Degrees. I'll cut as close to the line and do any finishing work with a chisel and shoulder plane.
My funds are getting smaller and smaller and with the Domino Sipo biscuits and glue's and everything else I need I am already looking at over a £1000.

If its any help i have always found my system of cutting mortice and tenon joints works really well on large lengths. When it comes to cutting mortices i have a very old stand alone morticer, it big and ugly but with its sliding dovetailed table its quick and accurate (even 40 years after it was made) nothing new or exciting there. For my tennons is where i think i have the advantage over the Leigh. I dont have a bandsaw either (not yet anyway but im working on it lol) so i use my table saw. Its nothing special just an extruded aluminium job but i have made a sled for it that is 6.8" long with 6ft to the left of the blade. This runs in my mitre slots with the long overhanging bit supported with a few roller stands. i then clamp a stop to the right of the blade for my tenon length and set the blade height for the shoulder depth and nible the waste away on the sled, quick clean up with a plane and your done. This works well for me and i think has the advantage that with a bit of searching on ebay you could get the morticer the saw and materials for the sled for about 400 quid give or take, and you would have the saw for some ripping as well.
hope that helps.
Ben

leverb01507":21j8i6rd said:
If its any help i have always found my system of cutting mortice and tenon joints works really well on large lengths. When it comes to cutting mortices i have a very old stand alone morticer, it big and ugly but with its sliding dovetailed table its quick and accurate (even 40 years after it was made) nothing new or exciting there. For my tennons is where i think i have the advantage over the Leigh. I dont have a bandsaw either (not yet anyway but im working on it lol) so i use my table saw. Its nothing special just an extruded aluminium job but i have made a sled for it that is 6.8" long with 6ft to the left of the blade. This runs in my mitre slots with the long overhanging bit supported with a few roller stands. i then clamp a stop to the right of the blade for my tenon length and set the blade height for the shoulder depth and nible the waste away on the sled, quick clean up with a plane and your done. This works well for me and i think has the advantage that with a bit of searching on ebay you could get the morticer the saw and materials for the sled for about 400 quid give or take, and you would have the saw for some ripping as well.
hope that helps.
Ben

Thanks Ben. That sort of makes sense, I need to read it again. I know what would help and what everyone on here craves. Pictures.
Cheers

Ill work on that, the shop is in storage mode at the minute as its moving to newer and greater living quarters (hopefully :? ). but ill get you some photos as soon as i move in (in the next 4-6 weeks hopefully), may need some assistance on how to put on photos though!
cheers.

leverb01507":3ada0aaa said:
Ill work on that, the shop is in storage mode at the minute as its moving to newer and greater living quarters (hopefully :? ). but ill get you some photos as soon as i move in (in the next 4-6 weeks hopefully), may need some assistance on how to put on photos though!
cheers.

This is the way I put pictures up.
I have a Flickr picture account. www.flickr.com
I upload my pictures to this site.
And then click on the picture till you get a page looking like this. Select the picture size you want to show, be that Square, Thumbnail, Small, Medium or Large.
4381561563_f755f7b01e_o.png

At the bottom it say's "2. Grab the photo's URL:"
Copy and paste this to what your writing and then highlight it.
At the top of the page you'll see this box
4382331760_9da93178ab_o.png

Click the "Img" button and it converts your copied and pasted text into a picture format.

Hope this helps.

Back