Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meaning of migrant in English​

migrant
noun [ C ]

uk

/ˈmaɪ.ɡrənt/ us

/ˈmaɪ.ɡrənt/

a person that travels to a different country or place, often in order to find work:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/migrant
Above from Cambridge Dictionary.
Meaning of illegal immigrant in English.

illegal immigrant
noun [ C ]

UK

/ɪˌliː.ɡəl ˈɪm.ɪ.ɡrənt/ US

/ɪˌliː.ɡəl ˈɪm.ɪ.ɡrənt/

(US also illegal alien)

someone who lives or works in another country when they do not have the legal right to do this

You OK with illegal concentration camps, harassment by deliberate delays in processing, electronic tags, firebomb attacks, etc?
It's only a problem because that's how the tories like to play it, while it's still a vote winner.
Illegal immigrants who have passed through many safe countries to get here are subject to the least help. It is a way of persuading them to think twice before leaving their own country. As for illegal processes in the UK, there aren't any. You're a Liberal, right?

Illegal immigrants who have passed through many safe countries to get here are subject to the least help. It is a way of persuading them to think twice before leaving their own country.
I think you'd find that most of them had thought really hard before they left their own country, probably over a number of years
As for illegal processes in the UK, there aren't any.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...entre-not-operating-legally-concedes-ministerhttps://www.jcwi.org.uk/the-hostile-environment-explained
You're a Liberal, right?
What is a liberal?

Last edited:
Meaning of illegal immigrant in English.

illegal immigrant
noun [ C ]

UK

/ɪˌliː.ɡəl ˈɪm.ɪ.ɡrənt/ US

/ɪˌliː.ɡəl ˈɪm.ɪ.ɡrənt/

(US also illegal alien)

someone who lives or works in another country when they do not have the legal right to do this

I don't think anyone is disputing the definition of "illegal immigrant". But they still fall under the general heading of "migrant". So not all migrants are illegal immigrants, but all illegal immigrants are migrants.

In exactly the same way, all Ford Cortinas are road vehicles, but not all road vehicles are Ford Cortinas.

Anyway, here's a picture of an animal I saw yesterday.

IMG_20221106_140231.jpg

The current incumbents have proven they are incapable of effective action on immigration over several years
Don't forget that the chaos is deliberate tory policy. They think it's a vote winner. The Hostile Environment explained
- I have zero confidence that were the opposition to win power they would be any better.
You are probably right. Here's Starmer waffling as usual with feet in both camps. He thinks anti immigration is a vote winner too. Keir Starmer says too many people from overseas hired to work in NHS
He's right of course that more people should be trained here, but that should include immigrants usually desperately seeking work.

Last edited:
You OK with illegal concentration camps, harassment by deliberate delays in processing, electronic tags, firebomb attacks, etc?
It's only a problem because that's how the tories like to play it, while it's still a vote winner.
definitely they ARE illegal imigrants coming here to sponge off our welfare state that we have paid into all of our lives

definitely they ARE illegal imigrants coming here to sponge off our welfare state that we have paid into all of our lives
Some may be.

Admittedly this is from 2016, but I suspect it's still relevant.

"
The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) has today (2 June) released a report looking at the impact on the State pension of reduced immigration to the UK in both the medium and the long term, key findings include:

• Reducing annual migration numbers, for example by c150,000*, could cost the State more than £3bn per year by 2032 and more than £8bn per year by 2057
  • To offset this funding gap in 2057 might require a further increase in the State Pension Age from 68 to 69 or a reduction in State Pension of £300 per year
  • Government could also use policy levers such as National Insurance contributions, or the level of State Pension benefits to mitigate against the net increase in Government costs
  • Raising the potential earnings profile of immigrants could also mitigate, or even reverse, impacts"

✊Power to the savvy shopper
Hello Terry, whilst I too hate waste, I think your rather off hand comment about a deep recession hitting "some people" quite hard speaks volumes, the "Some People" you refer to are likely to go bankrupt trying to pay their mortgage and utility bills, they will not have money for presents for their children, or anything else to spare, and as for "Excess Food" lots of people will not have enough, never mind any excess, I think you ought to consider your words before speaking, and actually do some research on poverty, according to Shelter the national Homeless charity as many as 1 in 3 of us could be made homeless in the new year, so no, a deep recession and stringent austerity measures are not what is called for, a rapid change of Government is what is called for, a General Election, as is our democratic right, but one which the sitting tenants are continuing to deny us in the face of total loss of public confidence

I don't know you, or know anything about you, but your words suggest you have always been well provided for, and not had any real struggles in your life, I have worked hard all of mine, I have had a small business which failed due to the last recession, following that I have had a number of jobs including 25 years in retail, not a well paid profession, my partner is a former nurse who left the profession after much soul searching and a bout of severe depression following the near impossible demands placed on her and her colleagues by the pandemic, we have known hardship in our lives, my partner was at one time homeless too, and I have come close to it myself as a mortgage holder, so please don't be glib about these awful pressing issues, it does you no credit regards Julie

Illegal immigrants who have passed through many safe countries to get here are subject to the least help. It is a way of persuading them to think twice before leaving their own country. As for illegal processes in the UK, there aren't any. You're a Liberal, right?
We have left the EU.

3. Outcomes of asylum applications​

3.1 At initial decision​

Almost three quarters (72%) of the initial decisions in 2021 were grants (of asylum, humanitarian protection or alternative forms of leave), which is substantially higher than the previous years. For much of the past decade, around a third of initial decisions were grants. The grant rate in 2021 is the highest grant rate in over thirty years (since 82% in 1990).

3.2 At appeal​

Some initial decisions (mainly, but not entirely, refusals) will go on to be appealed.

There were 4,035 appeals lodged on initial decisions in 2021. This is 17% fewer than the previous year, in part reflecting the smaller number of applications processed due to the pandemic and the smaller number of applications refused in the latest year, but this continues a downward trend for numbers of appeals lodged since 2015 (when there were 14,242 appeals lodged).

Of the appeals resolved in 2021, almost half (49%) were allowed (meaning the applicant successfully overturned the initial decision). The proportion of appeals allowed has risen from 29% in 2010, when the time series began.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ny-people-do-we-grant-asylum-or-protection-to
My highlight above. The government accepts the overwhelming majority of asylum claims.

Hello Terry, whilst I too hate waste, I think your rather off hand comment about a deep recession hitting "some people" quite hard speaks volumes,...............
This was not intended to offend or suggest complacency - more a refection of my normal communication style which is often "relaxed" or "understated". It is clear this caused offence and I apologise.

I was was not endowed with a silver spoon, nor have I struggled against adversity. I worked for 40 years - albeit interrupted by 9 months without a job. I have never really struggled, never indulged in unaffordable extravagance, and always lived within my means.

I stand by the generalisation that as a society we are profligate and wasteful, and that a recession may promote more thoughtful consumption of the financially and environmentally destructive.

The capacity to for individuals to change depends on personal circumstances - for some hugely irreconcilable, and at the other end of the spectrum, unnecessary.

Hello Terry, whilst I too hate waste, I think your rather off hand comment about a deep recession hitting "some people" quite hard speaks volumes, the "Some People" you refer to are likely to go bankrupt trying to pay their mortgage and utility bills, they will not have money for presents for their children, or anything else to spare, and as for "Excess Food" lots of people will not have enough, never mind any excess, I think you ought to consider your words before speaking, and actually do some research on poverty, according to Shelter the national Homeless charity as many as 1 in 3 of us could be made homeless in the new year, so no, a deep recession and stringent austerity measures are not what is called for, a rapid change of Government is what is called for, a General Election, as is our democratic right, but one which the sitting tenants are continuing to deny us in the face of total loss of public confidence

I don't know you, or know anything about you, but your words suggest you have always been well provided for, and not had any real struggles in your life, I have worked hard all of mine, I have had a small business which failed due to the last recession, following that I have had a number of jobs including 25 years in retail, not a well paid profession, my partner is a former nurse who left the profession after much soul searching and a bout of severe depression following the near impossible demands placed on her and her colleagues by the pandemic, we have known hardship in our lives, my partner was at one time homeless too, and I have come close to it myself as a mortgage holder, so please don't be glib about these awful pressing issues, it does you no credit regards Julie
I think you have taken my responce to Terrys post out of context i was agreeing with his sentiments on waste ie spending too much on christmas presents and paying over the odds for essentials because people think a pint of milk is dearer in supermarket A it is better than supermarket B thats an unsavvy shopper

Back