Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll never know. But I doubt it - there were some brains behind Corbyn, not many old etonians and privileged idiots with degrees in PPE!
I think nationalising utilities etc would have spooked the markets just as much as liz did!!

Yep. Corbyn was against it.
Corbyn would have been a disaster. Mind you, had corbyn been p.m, russia wouldnt have invaded ukraine. They'd have invaded us instead! Corbyns first move woukd have been to scrap trident and post the keys for no10 to putin 🤣

I bet you the Ukranians wish they hadnt given up their nukes 😔

Corbyn would have been a disaster. Mind you, had corbyn been p.m, russia wouldnt have invaded ukraine. They'd have invaded us instead! Corbyns first move woukd have been to scrap trident and post the keys for no10 to putin 🤣

I bet you the Ukranians wish they hadnt given up their nukes 😔

to the first part :LOL:

To the last part, boy do I wish the Ukraine still had nukes, too. They're an educated stable society with nuclear energy. Convincing them to give up nuclear defense was really stupid.

Or like the Scottish who want to Brexit from us and then rejoin the EU!!!
Isn't this kind of their thing?

He Scots...what do you want to do today?

"Let's tell the English we're not English again and tell them how much we will never be English, Love. Aye?"

"Let's tell the English we're not English again and tell them how much we will never be English, Love. Aye?"

Helluva hot take that DW.

A big part of the problem is transport.
Theres a lot more opportunity in the south / south east, partly due to transport ( onward shipping etc )
What all the governments seem to balls up is the basic premise of 'levelling up'
What it really means is spreading the opportunities around fairly... so, offer big businesses something ( incentives ) to set up factories and offices in the north and wales for instance. Improve transport links.

If you offer communities work, mostly they'll snap it up and in return they can improve their personal situations. If that happened, scotland would be more content. We wont get into the finances of Scotland, because both sides are fed propoganda, so we dont know the true story.

Helluva hot take that DW.

How far off is it. We only have one regular visiting Scot. He lives in London and reminds us that he's "not English" fairly often, but he must like England enough if he's living in London.

When he's over here, there's not a whole lot of politics talk - he says "let me see what big cars you guys have got now, and can we see an NFL game?".

And every ten minutes if we're at a bar, tipsy women stream to him and say "Talk like Shrek!".

For the converse of that, my English friend here, who probably remembers an England of 40 years ago is easy to fire up. "This is Kevin. He's British".

"F____! I'm English, a__hole!! British could be anything!!"

A big part of the problem is transport.
Theres a lot more opportunity in the south / south east, partly due to transport ( onward shipping etc )
What all the governments seem to balls up is the basic premise of 'levelling up'
What it really means is spreading the opportunities around fairly... so, offer big businesses something ( incentives ) to set up factories and offices in the north and wales for instance. Improve transport links.

If you offer communities work, mostly they'll snap it up and in return they can improve their personal situations. If that happened, scotland would be more content. We wont get into the finances of Scotland, because both sides are fed propoganda, so we dont know the true story.

This may reveal how long ago our Scottish friend was here - he went and got married and then couldn't get as far from home. But he was lamenting some change to the university system there where it would no longer be no cost or near no cost to go to "university". We know him because he did an exchange with a college here and he often said "I learned more in one semester from two professors than I did in the entirety of my courses in Scotland", but there's a catch. A year of college at the school he's talking about is $60k if you have the means to pay it, which is quite a lot of money for a liberal arts college.

The little cultural differences are a treat. that and the constant ..."wot did you just say? was that English?"

(and I'd have gone to a less good school than I went to if it were free. I'd trade what I pay in healthcare to go to NHS for half the cost, too, if I had the option. )

You'll never please everyone.
What we really need is to dump the politicians and find a new system to 'govern' the uk.
A lot of the time they dont explain their actions, presumably because we are all too dumb to understand?, but we all see through the lies, whether its tory, labour etc. They are no better than estate agents.

So i need to decide 2 year or 5 year fix. 2 year is currently higher interest, but if somehow the rates come down after next years hardship, i dont want to be paying higher interest for another 3 years. Conversely, 5 year might work out cheaper if the rates stay up for 3 or 4 years 🤔 🥸

Or i could sell the house, buy a field and wear a grass skirt for a while, shower when it rains, forage the land and turn into swampy ( without the hair ) but im not sure the mrs and kids will quite cope with that

I think nationalising utilities etc would have spooked the markets just as much as liz did!!
I think that if the Labour party ever get back into government, they should start up a not-for-profit utility company and compete in the open market. After all, any Tom Dick or Harry can start a utility company these days. If the price was lower, then I guess they'd prosper. If not, then chalk it up as a failed experiment and sell up to Octopus.
Sounds simple to me, so I suppose there must be some gaping hole in my reasoning.

are there costs to mortgage issuance there similar to "closing costs" in the US? We typically pay a couple of grand to originate a loan.

I haven't got any thoughts about rates except if there is a big economic decline, there could be a loose money policy again and lower rates, which would favor 2 thinking the current high rates will exist only until there is some stability combined with consequences of high rates.

I think that if the Labour party ever get back into government, they should start up a not-for-profit utility company and compete in the open market. After all, any Tom Dick or Harry can start a utility company these days. If the price was lower, then I guess they'd prosper. If not, then chalk it up as a failed experiment and sell up to Octopus.
Sounds simple to me, so I suppose there must be some gaping hole in my reasoning.

can they do it without making it uncompetitive due to their own virtues and love for red tape and inefficiency?

are there costs to mortgage issuance there similar to "closing costs" in the US? We typically pay a couple of grand to originate a loan.

I haven't got any thoughts about rates except if there is a big economic decline, there could be a loose money policy again and lower rates, which would favor 2 thinking the current high rates will exist only until there is some stability combined with consequences of high rates.
Some companies charge 'fees' for setting up the mortgage, others are fee free... hsbc for instance are feefree and offering a slightly lower rate than my mortgage broker is recommending. Maybe the different companies pay the brokers different amounts?
You get charged to leave a mortgage early. Our current deal is £3500 per year left to run if we want out early, although we now have only 4 months left, so they wouldnt charge us.

I don't know. That's kind of the point of my post.

That's a "box score question".

as in "i'll tell you the answer after they do it".

:) It's very difficult when anything isn't competitive to keep it efficient and not allow people to beat whatever it is to death with legal challenges or red tape.

In the US, we have not for profit electric co-ops. They are so rule laden that I think they do share a little more of the rates with their employees, but they also lobby the utility commissions to get higher rates and then the whole point of having not for profits is lost. Then, they start getting in disputes with their labor and giving away benefits or giving in to requests that nobody else would.

I'd say if anything, those would be great places to get a terminal job if one wanted out of the rat race. Sewer authorities, etc, much the same. Well capitalized, disinterested in efficiency and full of well connected people getting a 90K job that has benefits you couldn't dream of. The 90k part isn't exactly executive pay, but they come with pensions, postretirement medical and no cost medical while active and all kinds of other fringes.

Back