Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it will hit some folk quite hard, a deep recession, which many are predicting, will at least have the benefit of forcing many to think carefully about how and upon what they spend their money, and reduce consumption of the exploitative in favour of the necessary.

Whilst I am happy to pay a fair price for that which I need, I dislike waste and excess.

We are entering the season of goodwill towards all. The wider environment and our pockets would benefit from the elimination from shopping and present lists all that by new year will be on its way to the recycling or landfill - plastic cr4p, excess food, cheaply made gadgets and gimmicks which fail within days etc.

Kids aside, only buy presents that are actually needed - I've told the family that bottles of single malt are fine, anything else if needed I probably already have or can go and buy anyway.

In the new year we can continue the good work - only buy that which is needed, not that which is persuasively marketed. Avoid over-priced brands unless demonstrably better (testing, quality control) - the costs of marketing and placement add nothing but cost to the product.
✊Power to the savvy shopper

More about Albanians ‘We all want to leave’: poverty, not crime, fuels the urge to flee Albania
They also come here because they believe that this is a humane and relatively civilised place. They are in for a shock when they find themselves in illegally run concentration camps like Manston, where the Home Office workers "looking after" them are drug dealers. Drugs scandal hits Manston migrant centre
We can only hope the message gets back to Albania then? With little the government is allowed to do without some liberal group crying fould, I see no real solution to the problem.

We can only hope the message gets back to Albania then? With little the government is allowed to do without some liberal group crying fould, I see no real solution to the problem.
You OK with illegal concentration camps, harassment by deliberate delays in processing, electronic tags, firebomb attacks, etc?
It's only a problem because that's how the tories like to play it, while it's still a vote winner.

Last edited:
Why is absolutely EVERYTHING political with you? You've lived your life, God knows how bad it must have been to make you so bitter!
Rant over.
Mortgage rates, interest, immigrants, all political subjects!
I always think the bitterness is on the other side e.g. Suella Braverman was warned ‘hate speech’ could inspire far right and this thread is no different.
In fact I don't think I'm bitter at all, I'm very optimistic! I see immigration as a positive opportunity for us and for them, particularly as we have record low unemployment levels and high numbers of job vacancies.

Last edited:
As I see it, "migrants" are those that migrate within their own countries boundaries, "Illegal immigrants" are those that illegally enter another country without passing through the boarder controls and are subject to deportation.

As I see it, "migrants" are those that migrate within their own countries boundaries, "Illegal immigrants" are those that illegally enter another country without passing through the boarder controls and are subject to deportati
You can't go around redefining words! You'll have D_W on your back!

I have not redefined anything, it's how I have understood the meaning to be for my lifetime. 🥴

Why is absolutely EVERYTHING political with you? You've lived your life, God knows how bad it must have been to make you so bitter!
Rant over.
Bitter? Or compassionate?

I agree with a lot of what Jacob says. Not sure I can be bothered to swim against the tide as much as he does, though. I doubt anyone on here is going to change sides any time soon.

As I see it, "migrants" are those that migrate within their own countries boundaries, "Illegal immigrants" are those that illegally enter another country without passing through the boarder controls and are subject to deportation.

Meaning of migrant in English​

migrant
noun [ C ]

uk

/ˈmaɪ.ɡrənt/ us

/ˈmaɪ.ɡrənt/

a person that travels to a different country or place, often in order to find work:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/migrant
Above from Cambridge Dictionary.

I have not redefined anything, it's how I have understood the meaning to be for my lifetime. 🥴
Well I'm sorry to have to tell you that you're wrong. Migrants move from one place to another. Could be London to Birmingham, could be Lima to Beirut.
The fact that you've misunderstood it for your whole lifetime doesn't really affect anything.

Watch out, as it's also possible to just tell everyone else that someone has said somthing or other, and a lot will not bother to go back and actually check.

I wonder if that's a common trend.

I only do that when people use the word "average" to describe someone in the lowest quartile and then fall back on some broadened definition that's more or less word theft.

I haven't got any thoughts on the whole illegal immigrant thing aside from watching politicians try to change language to shift focus and then sling arrows at each other.

as in, how do you get people to change what they think about someone? forbid everyone around them from using factually correct terminology and then encourage slapping a brand on anyone who uses said forbidden terminology.

The main problem with people having their own meaning for words is that people do not understand what they are talking about.

If people have little confidence in the meaning of the words a person is using they may as well go outside and howl at the moon.

Could this mean that Mike has not redefined the meaning of anything but he is not disputing that he has redefined the meaning of migrants.

This thread has been going for awhile! Does Mike define my lifetime as the length of the thread and when a new thread starts on the subject he is free to redefine it in another lifetime.

I failed O level English twice, I know I mangle the language at times but I hope people undertand what I am saying whether they agree or not.

"I only do that when people use the word "average" to describe someone in the lowest quartile and then fall back on some broadened definition that's more or less word theft."

I'm confused. Did I do that? I didn't think I did.

Bitter? Or compassionate?

I agree with a lot of what Jacob says. Not sure I can be bothered to swim against the tide as much as he does, though. I doubt anyone on here is going to change sides any time soon.
Sorry but the tide is very much in the far left/ immigrants favour!

Back