Morrells + spray equipment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking to get into spraying my own work and browsing the net lookin at equipment

Looking at using the pre catalyst pigmented lacquer . Is this ready to use or do I need to buy some thinners?

Ideally I'm looking for a product that I can pour and paint.

I have room to buy a 7x7 shed that I will use as a spray shop is there any essentials I will need? I have a respirator and I'm looking to buy the earlex hv4500.

Thanks jamie

What are you spraying? if you were to spray say a chair or small table in a shed 7' x 7' even with the door open you won't be able to see where you are after a few minutes and the over spray will be, well every where, and you may even blow the shed into next doors garden when it goes off like a bomb. I.E. you will need a very big extractor fan (explosion proof) about 16" dia, and a large hole/window for fresh air to enter a filter to keep out the leaves / flies etc. also explosion proof lighting

Using water based finishes would help on the exlposion side but you still need ventilation, unless you are painting toy soldiers then forget everything I say!

I do occasionally spray wb morrells in the workshop but a 7' x 7' shed is only going to be any good for a few small items as you need somewhere well away from the spraying area to allow the items to dry - preferably on a rack. Without a booth I personally wouldn't consider spraying anything other than wb finishes. One other thing to consider is the need to be able to heat the area you are spraying - wb needs a minimum of around 15C. I use an earlex 6900 and I'm happy with the results I get and as my technique improves, on flat panels I get minimal overspray.

So bad idea then,

I could spray water based ,
I used to spray primer using a earlex hv1900 in my workshop then finish by hand but, whilst spraying I had downtime waiting for drying+ all the extra cleaning beforehand that's why I was looking at a seperate shed, I could push it to 8x8 but still that's not much bigger,

I don't spray anything too large say a 3' radiator cover, there will be the front panel 2 sides about 5" and a top about 6"
Or a small cupboard but I will paint in panels.

Heat wise shouldn't be a problem, I could kingspan the whole interior then heat with a elec/oil rad

I could build a filter box for the overspray, I haven't had too much of a problem with overspray in the past, but that was just primer,

hi yes you will need thinners, if you could make say one wall into a filter you can buy card filter panels that you could fit into a frame with extractor behind ,this would help a lot with over spray and the filter would take some discharge out before you dump it outside
all the best
pip

Back