more tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gabriele

The short answer is you can use them ALL across the grain, as long as you knife the outer lines cleanly and firmly..................

Hi Derek, thanks for the quick answer... Ok I must knife the outer lines.. with a marking knife? and.. only at first or I must cut along the walls cut until I arrive to the right depth :? ?

Ok I must knife the outer lines.. with a marking knife? and.. only at first or I must cut along the walls cut until I arrive to the right depth ?

Gabriele

We are still talking about cutting across the grain, yes?

In which case I use a very solid Japanese marking knife since I can press hard on it and it will cut more deeply than my other marking knives (wimps they are!).

In the absence of a nicker (which would maintain a clean shoulder), I would (1) use a saw to cut the shoulders if the board is not too long/wide since this will also act as a depth gauge, or (2) if the board is too long to saw, keep knifing the shoulder(s) until you have planed to the depth you want.

Regards from Perth

Derek

GEPPETTO":9cexbfdy said:
Ok I must knife the outer lines.. with a marking knife?

Marking knives are great, and important tools.

So, in other, but related, circumstances is a cutting gauge.
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=2731
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ght=#32163

Both are either cheap, or can be self-made for a pittance.

(don't get distracted by people searching for the PERFECT marking knife;
http://wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/det ... ge_id=2929
"ordinary" marking knives are fine - just not works of art!)

BugBear

Oh BB, that's not fair - showing Brian Buckner's knife! (thinks ... Bug Bear ... Brian Buckner ... BB ... ? OK, Paul are you really Brian Buckner in disguise?) :lol:

Here is a picture of the marking knife I use for scoring deep lines.

1Scoringlines.jpg

Use this to chisel out a fence for a backsaw:

2Chiselingfence.jpg

Here is the saw:

3Sawingtodepth.jpg

Then you may either chisel out the waste and use a router plane, or just plough it out as is.

Gabriele, the next plane on your list should be a Stanley #79 side rabbet. The only plane to widen a groove or dado (unless you count the #98/99).

6Trimmingwith79.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, you and the others are a inexhaustible source for informations and good advices. For me only a photo is is a lot more of a word: sometimes my english falls and I don't understand fully. Hence more photos are welcome.
Gabriele, the next plane on your list should be a Stanley #79 side rabbet. The only plane to widen a groove or dado (unless you count the #98/99).

Unfortunately nowadays I must count money (home ended,two children and so on) :roll: and We ( I and my wife - plus her :roll: ) say it's enough for now.
But how Alf said I'm on "The Slope" :) ...perhaps in a more far time.. perhaps.. The slope is very steep :twisted:

Thanks again

Hi All again, I ask informations step for step :roll: .

My new Record #44 has arrived IIRC without that little piece at the centre of the pict.

f8_1_b.jpg

What does it serve for?

that little piece
clamps and holds the blade in the plane body. The plane cannot work without it.

I seem to recall tha Bugbear has, on his website, a template of the piece so that one might make it oneself. I'm sure that he (and/or Alf) will have something to say about it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Does anyone know of a website showing the shape that the nicker on a #78 (etc) should be? There was a recent post how to hold it on the end of a stick, but should it be sharpened to a point, a radius or a chisel shape? My Stanley #78 has a nicker that is soft enough to be filed.

that little piece
clamps and holds the blade in the plane body. The plane cannot work without it.

.............Derek

Derek, I have been in panic for a while. The last post was from a mind record. I have seen very little the plane from yesterday evening. But I remember I saved an image of the plane:

82_1_b.jpg

Is That piece on the plane? Please tell me "YES" :roll: .

Gabriele
Looks to me like the 'piece' is there at the back of the plane in the pic.
IF you really are missing the clamp PM me with your address and I'll let you have one from my ever diminishing pile of them. :wink: :wink:
Reagrds
martin

mahking51":1c0pzgwd said:
Gabriele
Looks to me like the 'piece' is there at the back of the plane in the pic.
IF you really are missing the clamp PM me with your address and I'll let you have one from my ever diminishing pile of them. :wink: :wink:
Reagrds
martin

Thanks mahking, when I arrived at home I controlled the plane. The piece was there. Thanks again.

Back