• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Tools: Fewer but more expensive, or more but cheaper?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
My 5p:

Saws: either buy jap saws (rutlands stuff seems to work as well as anything) or restore a cheap western oldie from ebay. You'll need to learn how to sharpen them anyway, so might as well do it now. Can even get a Dissy on the cheap.

Chisels: Ashley Iles. Simply exceptional chisels and reasonably priced. Also narex if you can find them cheap - these are great for jobs where you don't want to use your AI. I used to buy Narex at about £6-8 a chisel and they seem to have really gone up in price over the last few years. Also, a lot of them are now sold from China which makes me wonder if they are still made in CZ (?).

Workbench: use whatever you can until you know what you'll be mainly working on, then build to suit your needs.

Hand planes: Quangsheng will get you started on the right path, but shop around. They seem to have gone up in price too recently.

Combi squares: Bahco.

As some folks said here, cheaper doesn't always mean bad, and expensive doesn't always mean better. A good tool is a sharp tool, and I find it easier to have more tools than I "need" and sharpen them in one go, but that does mean that a fair % of them spend time sitting on the shelves until I go on another mass-sharpening spree.

Last edited:

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
but that can hold an edge
By all means avoid rubbish steel that can't hold an edge.
But I'm not sure just how much edge retention matters once you reach a certain level of quality. Softer steel = easier to sharpen. QS T10 & Narex steel is a lot softer than, say AI or Ron Hock, but in practice I find it just as easy& pleasant to use.
Just stop & strop or sharpen more often but spend less time sharpening. Also, stropping softer steel gets it back to razor-sharp a lot easier than harder steels.
I've got a mujingfang blade in a home-made radius plane and that is approaching the lower threshold of usability for me, but I've seen worse irons in some old St*nley jobbies, and many folks seem to swear by them.

Spectric

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Something I am not to experienced with is sharpening using a strop, seen a butcher use one and my grandad but not me, perhaps I am missing something.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Something I am not to experienced with is sharpening using a strop, seen a butcher use one and my grandad but not me, perhaps I am missing something.
Well worth learning IMHO. I take a 'reasonable' edge from the fine diamond plate and the strop* finishes it, burnishes it and leaves a 'cut paper' edge.
Minor edit. The action is 'wiping' the primary bevel along the stop, then raising it slightly (call it a micro bevel if you want) to add that last edge. Less than a dozen strokes usually brings back an edge.

*Strips from a cheapo leather apron, double sided tape onto MDF, in the vice. 'Green' burnishing compound as for buffing wheels.

Last edited:

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
There's 3 elements to getting an edge, really - shape the whole thing into a pointy bit (can be done on an old-school grinder with a decent wheel), then sharpen the edge of the pointy bit (usually that's up to 1-2mm from the edge) (I use abrasive paper on a piece of glass, but anything goes), then get the edge itself razor sharp (if it's good enough to shave with, you're almost there). The last bit can be done on a strop - as Dave has pointed out, just a strip of leather. I don't even glue mine to anything - just put in on the bandsaw or planer table and strop on it. I've switched to veritas green compound - the stuff seems to be better than anything I've used in the past.
I don't think there's any skill to stropping, but I've been doing it for about 15 years, so it might be just muscle memory working.

Of course, one can do all 3 in one go, grinding away at the blade, but that's a lot of extra work, because you only need to do step 3 regularly to maintain the sharp edge. Then occasionally do step 2 when the strop starts rounding the edge. Step 1 is only needed if you damage the blade.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
There's 3 elements to getting an edge, really - shape the whole thing into a pointy bit (can be done on an old-school grinder with a decent wheel), then sharpen the edge of the pointy bit (usually that's up to 1-2mm from the edge) (I use abrasive paper on a piece of glass, but anything goes), then get the edge itself razor sharp (if it's good enough to shave with, you're almost there). The last bit can be done on a strop - as Dave has pointed out, just a strip of leather. I don't even glue mine to anything - just put in on the bandsaw or planer table and stop on it. I've switched to veritas green compound - the stuff seems to be better than anything I've used in the past.
I don't think there's any skill to stropping, but I've been doing it for about 15 years, so it might be just muscle memory working.

Of course, one can do all 3 in one go, grinding away at the blade, but that's a lot of extra work, because you only need to do step 3 regularly to maintain the sharp edge. Then occasionally do step 2 when the strop starts rounding the edge. Step 1 is only needed if you damage the blade.
I rub mine up and down (and round and round) on a medium oilstone (Norton 1B8) at about 30º , until there is a burr. Then ditto on a finer stone alternating turning it bevel down then face down to remove the burr, several times.
Quite energetic and fast - dipping as you go to make a rounded bevel because it's easier that way
Sometimes go the extra step on to a piece of leather with autosol or similar.
I got rid of a lot of modern sharpening kit, jigs, diamond plates, Pro edge etc as I don't really need them.
Back to basics, quicker, easier, cheaper, and if you do a little and often, also sharper.