Monitor Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just installed a Samsung 19" flat screen monitor and I'm having a problem with the desk top picture. The three settings that I can choose from are Centre, Icon and Stretch, the stretch distorts the picture and when I go to centre then the picture is toolarge for the screen.

Any experts out there can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Not an expert mate, but have you tried setting the screen resolution to the one specified for your monitor. LCD monitors have a recommended resolution that they work best at-the "old-fashioned" ones work at a variety.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Waka
There should be an auto button that will do the job. Make sure you have the resolution on your computer to the native resolution of the LCD screen first - prolly 1280x1024.
Cheers
Gidon

Waka":1m0tc7lo said:
I've just installed a Samsung 19" flat screen monitor and I'm having a problem with the desk top picture. The three settings that I can choose from are Centre, Icon and Stretch, the stretch distorts the picture and when I go to centre then the picture is toolarge for the screen.

Any experts out there can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Do you mean the general picture, or a specific picture on your desktop, of family/pets/planes(philly?)/hobbies etc. If you do...

Can you resize the picture you want as a desktop to the same size as your screen resolution? E.g. if the screen resolution you are using is 1024 x 768, open the picture, and resize to the same 1024x768 pixels. Then when centered, it should appear normally.

Adam

Hi Waka,

The previous posts have hit the nail on the head.

Firstly, reset your desktop resolution to the native resolution of your monitor. If it's a standard 19" (5:4 aspect), the native resolution is almost certainly 1280 x 1024. If it's a widescreen 19" (16 : 10), the native resolution will probably be 1440 x 900.

If your picture still appears too large, you will need to resize it. Do you have MS Office on your PC or access to someone's PC who has? If so, you can use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to resize it.

1. Take a copy of the picture file to work on.
2. Open MS Picture Manager (this can be found in : Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools -> Microsoft Office Picture Manager
3. Open the working copy of the picture.
4. On the menus, click on Picture -> Resize.
5. In the Resize window that pops up, select 'Custom width x height' and enter the appropiate values.

This will resize your picture (as opposed to cropping it).

Hope this helps.

Grebo":lhx79045 said:
If it's a standard 19" (5:4 aspect), the native resolution is almost certainly 1280 x 1024. If it's a widescreen 19" (16 : 10), the native resolution will probably be 1440 x 900.

Grebo, is the aspect ratio for PCs different to TVs? A TV is 4:3 (normal )and 16:9 (widescreen). I didn't know that PC montors were different. You learn something new every day (if you are lucky).

When did manufacturers ever make life easy for consumers? :) It's all part of the drive to make us upgrade.

PC ratios (normal):

640 x 480 (4:3)
800 x 600 (4:3)
1024 x 768 (4:3)
1280 x 1024 (5:4) - most common in 17 - 19" monitors
1600 x 1200 (4:3) 20"+ monitors

PC ratios (widescreen):

1280 x 800 (16:10) laptops
1440 x 900 (16:10) 19" monitors
1680 x 1050 (16:10) 20-23" monitors -
1920 x 1200 (16:10) 24" monitors

Why the blip at 1280 x 1024? Who knows? The 16:10 ratio is more easily explained in that it lets you view two pages of A4 side by side. One other reason touted is that it lets you view 16:9 widescreen movies on your PC with the player controls visible.

Personally, I think it's so they can sell us 2 screens, TV and PC monitor, instead of 1.

Steve it depends on the native resolution of the screen rather than the physical measurements. 1280 x 1024 res for example is a 5:4 ratio for a 4:3 aspect ration monitor you might find that 1280 x 960 is a better setting.
Cheers Mike

All
Thanks very much for the helpful info, I'll have a bash at sorting it later in the day, and I'm sure I'l come back with more questions.

Latest posts

Back