What a (cooker) knob!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodpr

Established Member
Reaction score
The tacky plastic 'chrome' knobs on my Rangemaster cooker are falling to bits so I ordered a set of new ones. They came from China and we're a nice fit on the shafts of the controllers but missing the protruding centre shaft (see picture with original knob) and for some odd reason this meant that the rings would not stay lit when the knob was released.

So I ordered some 'universal' knobs from spares2go, which arrived super quick but which will not fit on the controller shafts.

The problem seems to be that the 'sleeves' for the new knobs do not have the same flat on them as the controller shafts (see pics).

Does anyone have any ideas for how I might be able to adapt the holes in the sleeves so that I can get them to fit over the controller shafts, or do I have to return these and try a third lot?

I have tried putting the sleeve in hot water to try to soften it a bit, and using washing up liquid as lubricant but no joy so far!

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_112021654_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231117_112021654_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231117_112051877_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231117_112051877_HDR.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231117_112144177.jpg
    IMG_20231117_112144177.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 0
If the shaft is the same diameter as the hole then either file the flat inside the hole a bit deeper or file the flat on the shaft.

I reckon the knob is softer, and a scrap of wood cut to size with sandpaper glued to it should do the job fairly easily. Of even a chisel, if it's plastic.

If the hole is smaller in diameter than the shaft then I'd send them back.

I had the same problem, drilled out the knob so it just fitted then added Araldite - about 8 years ago still working.

If the shaft is the same diameter as the hole then either file the flat inside the hole a bit deeper or file the flat on the shaft.

I reckon the knob is softer, and a scrap of wood cut to size with sandpaper glued to it should do the job fairly easily. Of even a chisel, if it's plastic.

If the hole is smaller in diameter than the shaft then I'd send them back.
I have chiselled away a bit and managed to get two fitted but it is a slow and tedious process.

I had the same problem, drilled out the knob so it just fitted then added Araldite - about 8 years ago still working.
This sounds like a plan! If I sneak up on it there shouldn't be too much risk of drilling away too much of the flat in the hole!

Back