Mobile phone reception

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My workshop is in a cellar - that cellar has a window (it's not completely underground).....outside said window I can just about get a few bars on my mobile - but nothing inside.

Anyone any ideas if there's an aerial or something available to continue that signal another 2 metres or so to where I want it?

Chris

Can you tell us the brand and model of your phone. Certainly many Nokias can easily be fitted with an external antenna like this:

B00007BHTQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

nokia-5100-6100-3db-stick-on-antenna-drive-time-kit-one-piece-glass-mount-antenna-large-828.jpg

33xx_external_antenna3.JPG

Those are the sort of things I was thinking of. Could you plug it into such an item whilst in the basement?

Adam

Chris,

Try the OFCOM sitefinder http://www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/ to see where the mobile base stations are in your area. It might be that by changing service provider you get a better signal.

You could also try some friends phones which use other service providers to see if they get a signal where you are.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks for your replies,

i) The phone is a rather elderly Nokia 3310 - not sure if and where an aerial would plug in.

ii) Don't fancy leaving the 'phone outside and using bluetooth - but it's not Bluetooth capable anyway and that would only transmit up to 10m I believe.

iii) I don't have any friends.....no, seriously - the workshop is the basement of a 3 storey stone building with 3' walls, across the alleyway is a 4 storey stone mill and opposite a 5 storey brick built silk mill.....I reckon I'm pretty lucky to get a signal anywhere close!

Chris.

Good evening,

If I remember, the 3310 has an aerial connection and the Nokia aerial unit
Antenna Set NMT/GSM 900/1800 AMD-2
fits this set. This should give more than enough length to fit outside the building.

regards,

Colin

Many of the cheap (unbranded) antennas for nokia should fit no problems.

I think a pukka Nokia one will cost more than the cost of buying a new phone.

Adam

Got it !!!

An upgrade from T-mobile to a bluetooth phone (£9.99) ....send my old one back and receive a cheque for a tenner !

Jabra Bluetooth headset (eBay) £20.....climb up the step ladder, put the phone by the window - switch on the phone on to hunt for a signal....and away we go.....a signal in a subterranean workshop !!!

Marvellous...

Chris.

Back