land line telephone and virginmedia connection help requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a future problem of a fire risk from a computer caused by being left switched 24/7 one day????????????????
There's always a risk with something electrical, but not worth being concerned about. Imo

Indeed. The great irony is that the contingency planning for possible programmed power cuts this winter tells people to listen to FM radio for information, presumably because local DAB relays might not work and most domestic DAB receivers are mains operated because battery usage is so high.

(I know its POTS going but that gets into detail the OP might not need. Copper was shorthand)

Wandering off topic now... A good rant never hurt.

Thinking back to the 3 day week power cuts, local pub had candles, beer on hand pump, a till that took real money and bar staff who could add up at great speed. The local store could weigh out your veg on a spring dial scale, take cash and did stock control by looking at the shelves and phoning the wholesaler. This will be a whole lot different, nothing will work. 99% of retail will have to close, staff will lose wages, pubs can't function, the slightly romantic 'in it together' memories are false, it will be horrid. I wonder if things like electric door locks on common entrances to flats will work, car park barriers, things like that. How many will be locked in, out or stuck far from home. We have dependency on electricity supply but no contingency. In our village, when POTS goes if there is a power cut and someone needs ambulance or fire brigade they will have to find a fit neighbour to run up the hill until they get a mobile signal.

Most of the population know nothing about what is happening and will only find out when their phone stops working. Another concern.
I have got to say that far from not knowing, Virgin media contacted me four times over the year to let me know when the changeover was going to happen and then sent me the adapter in the post about a week before it happened.Still not the most convenient set up as my router is behind the TV so I needed an extension to reach the nearest phone socket.

Latest posts

Back