mitre trimmers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob_c

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these and are they accurate and quick to use/set up.I want one for small mouldings in exotic hardwoods.Ive been looking at the axminster cast iron one like this. Ebay link

I don't have one, but my friend-next-door does and I've nicked it while he is on hold.

They are basic, but surprisingly accurate. I'm currently making anew front door and using Bolection mouldings, I'm using the mitre trimmer for, well, the mitres.

One thing we have found is that it is difficult to trimm off, say. a quarter of a mil accurately - the stock just gets pushed aside and the mitre are not good. It'd better if you take of a mil or two per cut. That way the forces on each side of the blade are more balanced and the cut is straight.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve for the reply,im making a load of display cases with lots of finicky little mouldings ive made on the router table from ebony ,satinwood and boxwood.So it looks like one of these will be ideal.Can they really handle stock sizes as mentioned in the link above,i find it hard to believe?

I use a shooting board and a block or shoulder plane, rather than the one you mention as I found it very difficult to hold small lengths. I can also take tiny amounts off easy, and do double mitres for when 3 corners meet. Make one 1st to try from scrap before shelling out, you may find it better?

I've used the same one at college and find it a great piece of kit for the money. I'm not sure I agree entirely with what Steve says - you might find it will take a finer cut if you give the blade a quick honing? (Wear gloves!!)

You don't want to take off anything other than 1mm either. Apparently, one of the carpentry students came in to our workshop to use it once and they managed to BREAK the handle!! :shock: That's not easily done when you see the thing! Some timbers, like American ash, seem to like finer cuts only.

Bob
6x4 is the capacity, physically speaking. The width is irrelevant, you just have to keep going (in the same way that it is not harder to plane a long board than a short board, but it is harder to take a thick shaving than a thin one). But the higher the stock, then yes, the more effort is required. The skewed blade makes that much easier than it would be if it were straight, of course.

Remember it is a trimmer, not a saw.
S

Hi,

I was given a HUGE one its nearly 3 feet long and I have just re-arranged my garage so I can get to it. Its now on a stand made from Dexion with castors so I can wheel it out. I am finding it very useful, perviously I had only used it on some mouldings for a pair of doors, where it munched through 128 miters in an morning. It will do miters for box sides etc its one of those things that you get to rely on but a shooting board will take off thinner shavings.

Pete

Thanks for the extra comments,ive bought one and shall see for myself if they are any good.There seems to be alot of them around under various brand names,all looking very similar.

Just be careful when you take it out the box! I have heard quite a few scare stories of people reaching in and grabbing it by the blades. Very Sharp!!

Used to use one of these when i made carvans and they can be very useful.I would also caution about the blade.When my younger brother started at the same caravan firm i worked at someone asked him to fetch said implement and he promptly picked it up by the blade not knowing what it was.Sliced his fingers really badly.

I use one for picture framing and it's great! On most timber you can take very fine cuts, not as fine as the whisperey bits you see coming off David Charlesworth's plane but pretty good. I'll also back up Richard@Axminsters advise about sharp blades. Been there - got the badge!
Gower

Hi,

This is my beast with a 300mm rule on it, it would have your arm off it you let it.
DSC_0117.jpg

Dexion big boys Mechano :wink:

Pete

Pete, that is an absolute beast! Have you ever had to sharpen the knives and if so, how did you do it?

Hi, George
I haven't had to, they do leave a couple of lines in the cut but nothing worth bothering with, plus there are loads on bolts and adjustment screws on the back so I have left well alone.

Pete

Latest posts

Back