Mitre Saw Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablopete80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a cheap (ebay special) mitre saw and suddenly the other day it lost power and started sparking orange/yellow from the motor. The blade also continues spinning for ages once its off. It now does not reach full speed and sparks etc.

Is this a terminal problem i have or a case of bushes of something simple.

Thought i better check with people who know before i think about chucking the thing out

Cheers

Pete

Personally I would bin it unless it still under guarantee ?

These cheap saws are built to a price and not a standard

If you are able you would be better off saving up for a decent brand name machine that are built to a standard not a price

I have had my Dewalt saw for :-k :-k #-o #-o many years and it still works fine :mrgreen:

If you go down the repair route it could cost as much in labor and parts as the saw cost originally

Pretty much what i am thinking, but thought i would check first. It was a purchase 5 years ago to get a job done and has lasted ever since so its not done too bad for the money. For the amount of use i am going to use it for i (swmbo) cant justify a new dewalt or makita but am checking ebay for a decent second hand one. I assume the screwfix ones are rubbish to as if i cant get a second hand one then it may one of those or an axi one. Its a 250mm sliding one i am after by the way

Pete

sounds a lot like the brushes to me. If you can get spares they will be cheap and not at all hard to fit... but getting the spares could be the issue. If you can get brushes (the most common spare for brushed motors) then it's just getting inside the casing, not losing any bearing parts, and putting the new brushes in where the old have worn out. So it could be worth saving.

Hi,

I picked up a load of brushes from a car boot. they are made from carbon so with a file you can make them fit most things.
I have replaced motor bike alternator brushes with ones from an electric drill.
So find some that fit or are too big.

Pete

Brushes changed and one working saw. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction.

Pete

Back