Mitre saw help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelmo

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Elektra Beckum KGS 331 mitre saw that I inherited from my dad. I was using it the other day and it stopped working. I was cutting some chunky timber and thought that it may have overheated.

I went back to it a day or two later and it's still not working. When pressing the trigger, I can hear a clicking sound however the motor isn't engaging. I don't hear the click when there's no power so there's definitely power getting to the machine.

Does anyone have any ideas on a fix or what I need to check?

Thanks in advance!

Spin the blade by hand and then pull the trigger, be careful.
if it starts it’s your cap start. If not, something else. I have one (the later blue one, rather than the older green type) but lent it to somebody, can’t recall if there’s a thermal cut out on it.

Thanks for the quick response!

Mine is the blue one - 110v version.

The blade spins freely and I've tried to get it going by spinning it then pressing the trigger but with no joy. When I depress the trigger, I can hear the brake kicking in.

It's like everything is working apart from the motor. I don't suppose there's a fuse of some sort that could have blown?

Do you think I need to open up the black box where the power lead goes and check for loose wires?

As I mentioned, is there a thermal switch on it? As said I can't recall and can't check. Ok, just checked on the manual, there is a thermal switch. This'll kick in when the motor is overloaded or gets too hot. Simple matter of pressing it fully to re-set. On the side of the box, clear plastic over it.

I've tried pressing the thermal switch but it's still not working. I think I'm going to have to go down the road of taking it apart and put it back together again...

Unfortunate, let us know how you get on.

It's worth changing the fuse plug and checking the connections if it's not a moulded plug. Very little can go wrong with induction motors so the capacitor might be blown. They are pricey to replace unfortunately.

Thanks everyone. I took it apart yesterday and took a non-contact voltage pen (I don't have a multimeter) to the wires to check there was power. There looked to be power circulating to everywhere I tested.

The clicking noise I referred to looked to be coming from the relay in the control box. A white bit of plastic comes out of the relay when the trigger is pressed which is causing the clicking sound.

I've also managed to deduce that the electronic break is still working. Am I right in thinking that because of this, the capacitor is in working order?

My next thing to investigate is the motor. I'll be hitting YouTube for common induction motor issues / fixes before taking a look. Please do let me know if anyone has any ideas in what to look for or test!

Back