Small Mitre Saw - Where can I get a balde?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Have managed to pick up one of these for use at school.

Can't find a UK supplier of the blades. They are 350mm long as opposed to the usual 500mm

Every time I type mitre saw I get swamped by power tool results.

thumbnail.jpg

Try these they are 350 mm

3802 HSS Powe Hacksaw Blade 350mm (14in) x 1.1/4in x 6 TPI BAHHS141146
£16.99
Zoro Tools
3802 HSS Powe Hacksaw Blade 350mm (14in) x 1.1/4in x 10 TPI BAHHS1411410
A quick search but most at 350mm seam to be hacksaw blades and the mitre saw blades are 550 but as @Orraloon suggests search for mitre box or mitre frame blades.good luck
I suspect power hacksaw blades are going to be a lot thicker, and probably don't have the same mounting holes.

Buy a 550mm blade. Make a mark 200mm from one of the securing holes. Drill a new hole (Bosch Multimaterial drill). Clamp in vice 200mm from end. Shear off excess with a sharp chisel.

Set homework project "think of ten useful tools to make from a 200mm offcut of saw blade".

1. glue spreader
2. cabinet scraper
3. weld to blunt multitool blade

Try these they are 350 mm

3802 HSS Powe Hacksaw Blade 350mm (14in) x 1.1/4in x 6 TPI BAHHS141146
£16.99
Zoro Tools
A quick search but most at 350mm seam to be hacksaw blades and the mitre saw blades are 550 but as @Orraloon suggests search for mitre box or mitre frame blades.good luck
Might try those - I have an account with Zoro - so could be an easy option to try. Thanks

I thought this would be the one - but another 550mm I'm afraid
Apologies I misread the description. I can't find one at 350 mm at all, other than in Australia! loads of 550 ones. Think you might have to go with ChaiLatte 's suggestion. The blade will probably be too hard for a regular drill bit, if so just get a suitable sized cobalt one to drill the new mounting hole. The power hacksaw blades will be too thick, and far too coarse tpi I would have thought.

The blade will probably be too hard for a regular drill bit, if so just get a suitable sized cobalt one to drill the new mounting hole.

Looking at it, if you drilled the new hole at the far end of the blade (not the handle end), you might not need to shorten it, just let it hang out.

Another option could be to convert the saw into a longer version - the tensioning rod at the top is easy to make a longer one or even extend the one you have with a coupling nut and threaded rod.

The sliding guide tube might be less easy - it depends on if its OD is a common size. Maybe you could make an aluminium (or brass for bling) insert that goes at the handle end - make it a loose fit on the ID of the tube and JB weld into place. Once the glue has set, turn the OD concentric with the existing tube. Could be done on a wood lathe if necessary.

Hadn't thought of enlarging it Chai Latte. I want to keep it this size as it's a good little compact saw for making repetitive cuts on the smaller pieces of wood. A couple of clamps and the children can use this to make matching wings / tail fins for planes. Saw down a little piece of wood into a rough boat. It's a good size for that.

Back