Elektra Beckum HC260M Fault

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newt1116

Reaction score
Hi, I have an Elektra Beckum HC260M which works fine in respect of planing but when I power it down there is a clicking sound emanating from the junction box adjacent to the motor. This clicking noise continues for approx 8-10 seconds even after the motor has stopped.

On investigating I noticed one of the capacitors had popped so replaced it but the clicking persists.

I have attached a video of the clicking sound after power down.

Any help to diagnose would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.mov
    33.3 MB
There is a manual here:

http://www.targetmanufacturing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Elektra-Beckum-PT260-manualgreen.pdf
I looked in it and the wiring diagram is on page 10 of the pdf. Assuming it is correct, the mains supply comes in through a NVR switch and then directly to the motor.

A quick and simple method of reducing the scope of your investigation would be to bypass the NVR switch (connect a 13A plug directly to the motor cable). If the clicking stops, it is the NVR switch causing it. If it persists, then the cause is within the motor.

It is not clear from the wiring diagram if it is a capacitor start or capacitor run motor. If it is a capacitor start motor, there should be a centrifugal switch that disconnects the capacitor when the motor is up to speed (and reconnects it when the motor coasts to a halt, so it is ready for the next start). Try to locate that and ensure it is working as it should.

Hi, I have an Elektra Beckum HC260M which works fine in respect of planing but when I power it down there is a clicking sound emanating from the junction box adjacent to the motor. This clicking noise continues for approx 8-10 seconds even after the motor has stopped.

On investigating I noticed one of the capacitors had popped so replaced it but the clicking persists.

Hi ChaiLatte
There is a manual here:

http://www.targetmanufacturing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Elektra-Beckum-PT260-manualgreen.pdf
I looked in it and the wiring diagram is on page 10 of the pdf. Assuming it is correct, the mains supply comes in through a NVR switch and then directly to the motor.

A quick and simple method of reducing the scope of your investigation would be to bypass the NVR switch (connect a 13A plug directly to the motor cable). If the clicking stops, it is the NVR switch causing it. If it persists, then the cause is within the motor.

It is not clear from the wiring diagram if it is a capacitor start or capacitor run motor. If it is a capacitor start motor, there should be a centrifugal switch that disconnects the capacitor when the motor is up to speed (and reconnects it when the motor coasts to a halt, so it is ready for the next start). Try to locate that and ensure it is working as it should.
Hi ChaiLatte. Thanks for the response which I checked out but on looking further, my machine is in fact the HC260 (no suffix) and has a relay fitted in the black box on the motor and has both start and run capacitors. I'm not sure what the relay does but could be a motor protection relay?

I found a manual with the wiring applicable to mine (see attached) but not worked out how this functions or why the clicking is emanating from it when the planer is powered off.
Capture.JPG

Mine has always done that, think it may be a capacitor discharging or an electronic brake or something, never thought of it as a fault tbh.

Back