Fitting a soft start module to Dewalt DW745 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Many thanks Martin, (and Sam) Ive ordered one up, ebay £16.50,,with lots of good feedback from people fitting them to saws,,if I dont blow myself up I will let you know how I get on,
Steve.

Amclaussen

Reaction score
So I have just finished fitting it and it works well - The startup takes about 1-2 seconds max, and is much less traumatic than it was prior to this (anyone who has one of these type of machines will know just how abrupt the start is). The startup is now rather similar to my Festool TS55.

It was a bit of trial and error in the end as it appears the XS-16/D3 wiring is slightly different to the XS-12/D3.

I will write up how I did it into a small article with some photographs and a before/after video shortly, possibly this evening or tomorrow at some point.
I will wait for it!... Another important point that appears that it has not been mentioned yet: Is it reducing the inrush current too? (having a soft-start is nice indeed, but limiting the start-up current peak is perhaps more important in many installations!

TomGW

Established Member
Reaction score
I will wait for it!... Another important point that appears that it has not been mentioned yet: Is it reducing the inrush current too? (having a soft-start is nice indeed, but limiting the start-up current peak is perhaps more important in many installations!

This would be my question too.
I have a SIP 01332, bought used and fitted with a 13A plug/fuse. It normally runs fine but will occasionally blow the fuse on start up. I see that they are supplied new with no plug fitted and a 16A supply needed. I’m wondering if a soft start module would resolve this (very occasional) issue?

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Look boys,,,I really know nowt about electrickery and my reply is just by way of friendly chit chat and my own curiosity, but my guess would be that they could help, however it would mean you buying one rated at the ampage you would need. My little saw has a 1500watt motor, at 240 volts thats drawing about 6 or 7 amps and a little more at startup, the soft starts are from memory rated at I think 16amps so were well within its capability,,but if your machine is knocking out a 13amp fuse I would think its possible that its drawing at least or more than 16amps,,,what do people more knowledgeable think?
Steve.

MorrisWoodman12

Established Member
Reaction score
...Another important point that appears that it has not been mentioned yet: Is it reducing the inrush current too? (having a soft-start is nice indeed, but limiting the start-up current peak is perhaps more important in many installations!
Yes I think it should though I'm more electronicery rather than motorery. The surge is produced because is no back-emf from the non-spinning motor so the inductance of the windings appears as a virtual short across the supply. Note that any inductance tries to keep the status quo i.e. it only allows the current to increase 'slowly'. The slow start triac is only turned on for a fraction of the mains half cycle keeping the surge low but doesn't eliminate it. Hence as the slow start time passes the triac is on for a greater fraction of each half cycle, the motor spins up, the back-emf increases reducing the surge until the current drawn by the motor stabilises at its running current.
Well I think that is how it should work but I stand to be corrected. 🥴
And yes I'd like to reduce my surge and frequency of 13A fuse blowing too. 🤗
Martin

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, finally got around to fitting the Soft Start module to my Excell site saw and its made a tremendous difference, a soft click as the NV swich engages followed by a gentle whiz up to full speed, no knocks and bangs making you jump, so Im very pleased indeed. My one came from ebay, Ive posted the link to the advt, it looks the same as the one above and was just £16.50 inc postage and came with a simple wiring diagram which I followed. One thing I did differently was that I didnt cut or alter any of the wireing, Im fortunate in that I have a set of crimping pliers, nothing fancy, but the type that properly folds and crimps terminal onto the wires like the factory does, and I was able to just crimp on the appropriate terminals to the module so that it connected onto the existing wireing, worth bearing in mind if you dont fancy cutting the wireing on your expensive saw or tool around.
Steve.