Malita mitre saw soft start installation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Makita LS1040 compound mitre saw. It's a very nicely made and powerful tool but I hate the jolt on start up. It is available in the USA with soft start and a soft start module for it is available on line for around £20, which sounds to me like £20 well spent. Given that the saw is made in both configuartions it is hard to believe it can be that difficult to fit but does anyone know how to to do it?

Jim

I had the same problem, tried to find a solution and gave up. I also think that the jolt got worse over time, in the end it even frightened DDH

Its now been demoted to chopping firewood and I bought another flavour of Makita which is so much nicer, even without soft start.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for.

I have the same problem with my Titan mitre saw which is a beast on startup and have just ordered a soft start module to retrofit arriving tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it does, or does not, pan out as soon as I have fitted it.

Nope but Is your saw a 110V or 220V machine? If a 220V the module may cook when you try to use it.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, it's 230v and the module is said to have the sme rating so should be OK. The trouble is I am no electrician so would need pretty silly person proof instructions on how to instal it.

I have the same problem with my Titan mitre saw which is a beast on startup and have just ordered a soft start module to retrofit arriving tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it does, or does not, pan out as soon as I have fitted it.

Linus, I would be very interested to hear how easy or otherwise it proves to be.

Jim

Thanks, Pete, it's 230v and the module is said to have the sme rating so should be OK. The trouble is I am no electrician so would need pretty silly person proof instructions on how to instal it.

Linus, I would be very interested to hear how easy or otherwise it proves to be.

Jim
Hooked this up this morning - simples!

Module purchased from Amazon as below. Simply fit in line with the live in and Robert is your mother's brother. Hid the module in the handle.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0926XLHZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20220402_124857.mp4
    24.6 MB
  • 20220402_124720.jpg
    20220402_124720.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220402_124458.jpg
    20220402_124458.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220402_120957.mp4
    26 MB
I've been following this with interest as my Merabo saw is quite unnerving on startup. It runs happily on a 13A supply, so do I need to select the right starting resistor? They seem to be available in 12, 15, 16 and 20A ratings.
They seem to be very simple devices but I can't find any explanation on how they actually work. There is obviously a resistor in series which reduces the voltage to the motor but is it somehow reduced to zero over the startup period?
Brian

I've been following this with interest as my Merabo saw is quite unnerving on startup. It runs happily on a 13A supply, so do I need to select the right starting resistor? They seem to be available in 12, 15, 16 and 20A ratings.
They seem to be very simple devices but I can't find any explanation on how they actually work. There is obviously a resistor in series which reduces the voltage to the motor but is it somehow reduced to zero over the startup period?
Brian
That device uses tech similar to light dimmer switches - a triac is placed in series with the load and via a simple timer circuit like a resistor + capacitor in series the voltage on the resistor gradually rises over a short period as the capacitor charges and this rise is used to control the gate of the triac.
I'd advise purchasing one with as high a rated current as possible because whilst the motor may only be rated at say 750w i.e. ~3A, the startup current will be considerably higher and also the devices are typically manufactured in China so I'd treat their claimed current handling capacity with some scepticism..

That device uses tech similar to light dimmer switches - a triac is placed in series with the load and via a simple timer circuit like a resistor + capacitor in series the voltage on the resistor gradually rises over a short period as the capacitor charges and this rise is used to control the gate of the triac.
I'd advise purchasing one with as high a rated current as possible because whilst the motor may only be rated at say 750w i.e. ~3A, the startup current will be considerably higher and also the devices are typically manufactured in China so I'd treat their claimed current handling capacity with some scepticism..
Thanks, I'll go for the 20A.
Br

Thanks, I'll go for the 20A.
Br
As I mentioned in my reply my Titan mitre saw is a beast of a carbon brush motor and that module tamed it. It simply fits in line and if you don't want to dismantle the tool you can fit it in a suitable box in the lead.

As I mentioned in my reply my Titan mitre saw is a beast of a carbon brush motor and that module tamed it. It simply fits in line and if you don't want to dismantle the tool you can fit it in a suitable box in the lead.
Yes, that description also fits the Makita perfectly. I like your idea of fitting it in an inline box in the cable, a lot less faff than taking the saw apart although I am sure there is a ready made space for it in there given that the US version has soft start.

Such helpful people on here; thanks again to everyone.

Jim

I've just fitted a 20A Soft Starter to my mitre saw. Here is a video of it in action. It's a very rough starting action as the motor struggles until there's sufficient voltage to get it moving. It least now it's not suffering the sudden start jolt.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I have now done my Makita, I will have nothing to do with Amazon so got the module from ebay here Soft Start Module Softstart for Maschinen Electric Tool 230V To 20A (3036) | eBay. I couldn't be bothered taking the machine apart to find a hiding place inside so went to my local Kew Electrical where I got a box with cable entry and cable clamp at each end (£3) and connected the module inline in that. Like yours, my saw now sounds a bit rough initially. It takes about 3 seconds to spool up to full speed but, most importantly, it has tamed the beast. Easy to do and very happy with the result.

Jim

Back